Notices
Hunting & Firearms General discussion forum regarding hunting, rifles and handguns.

Shotgun for home defense.

Old 10-19-2015, 07:29 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Benelli supernova 12ga pump with a comfortech stock. It's a beautiful gun. Shoots smooth, feels great in your hands and the comfortech stock really absorbs a good amount of recoil.
I keep 00 buck in it but not one in the chamber. Actually the only reason I prefer 00 for home security is because if I needed to shoot through a wall or a door the 00 is going to still kill on the other side. Birdshot most likely not.
The safety issues of an accidental firing are not worth it to me to keep a round in the chamber. I'm pretty sure in most situations, racking the slide is going to audibly deter at least some people. And if you really need that split second it takes to rack it, you probably weren't going to make it anyway. I think it is just flat out irresponsible to keep a round in the chamber regardless of who lives with you or what kind of firearm you have. (Exception is a revolver). I think it must take testosterone driven irrationality to convince yourself it is ok.
Unless you live in a true warzone or on active duty as LE, it isn't necessary.
I recommend "sentrying" your home occassionally. In the dark, in the daytime, imagine different situations. From getting out of bed and getting your gun where you keep it, racking the slide immediatey, to moving around with the gun as you might in a real situation. Practicing where you point it, how you hold it, how you move, etc.. Remember, guns don't kill people, people do.

Also, if someone really wants to avoid "killing" there are non-lethal load options. Rubber, bean bags, etc..
Old 10-19-2015, 08:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Chefbrujo
Remember, guns don't kill people, people do. Also, if someone really wants to avoid "killing" there are non-lethal load options. Rubber, bean bags, etc..
If non-lethal is your game, then I'd go with a taser. Non-lethal rounds can still kill at inside-the-house ranges, and will most likely get you sued by a would be culprit turned victim. If you're going to shoot, shoot to kill. If you're going to incapacitate, do so without causing injury.

Sent from my iPhone using JK-Forum
Old 10-19-2015, 09:26 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a VEPR 12 Mag Fed shotgun with 10 rifles slugs in it for home defense.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1097402561.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	600.7 KB
ID:	627851  

Quick Reply: Shotgun for home defense.