Notices
Stock JL Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JL Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Will the JL torpedo the JK ?

Old 03-24-2017, 11:26 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A lot hangs on the Entry Level price point ; keeping it affordable for the "Base " buyers, who like to build and personalize . Those who have come up through CJs, YJs, TJs, to the present.
The "luxury " buyers who come and go, the Image buyers, are able to buy at higher prices;
I need an entry level price, a solid quality platform that I can build to my needs and expectations.
That "making it your own" is part of the allure of the JK, and the Generations before.
May it never go out of "Style" !
Old 03-24-2017, 05:25 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=resharp001;4285091]
Originally Posted by guarnibl
If the market gets flooded with JK's from people swapping to JL's, yes, you will see a drastic reduction in JK pricing. Simple supply and demand./QUOTE]

You could have said the same thing about the TJ when the JKs came out, but look what a used TJ continues to run 10 years after the JK came out. I'd imagine there will be some small hit, but the wrangler is such a classic design that there will always be demand out there.
Yes, the TJ experienced exactly what I said will happen to the JK -- blip didn't last. Wrangler will always hold it's value. But it will continue to depreciate with mileage like any other vehicle. Hold mileage the same and they certainly bottom out higher than other vehicle types -- which is awesome.

TJ's range pretty heavily in price though, or at least around here. I've seen people asking $28k for LJ's and people asking $12k for LJ's where mileage was only 10k apart and mods were similar. Not sure about actual sales price, but I paid around 20 for my '98 5.7 Hemi TJ with Rubicon axles that is fully emission compliant (passed SMOG, done right) with 47k on the ODO. Felt like it was a fair price. Paint still shines after a solid wax job and it's just about 20 years old now. No rust, clean interior too. There was one on eBay that I saw go for around $26k -- but I believe it was a year ago now. So I felt I got a good deal. Anticipating when I do eventually sell it -- whether that's 1, 5, 10 years from now, assuming I keep mileage low it will fetch what I paid.

Originally Posted by Four Low
A lot hangs on the Entry Level price point ; keeping it affordable for the "Base " buyers, who like to build and personalize . Those who have come up through CJs, YJs, TJs, to the present.
The "luxury " buyers who come and go, the Image buyers, are able to buy at higher prices;
I need an entry level price, a solid quality platform that I can build to my needs and expectations.
That "making it your own" is part of the allure of the JK, and the Generations before.
May it never go out of "Style" !
Yep, I agree 100%.

'97 TJ 2dr SE $13,470 MSRP
'07 JK 2dr X $18,610 MSRP
'17 JK 2dr Sport $23,995 MSRP

Last edited by guarnibl; 03-24-2017 at 05:49 PM.
Old 11-03-2017, 12:30 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Now that so much more is known about the JL, I think it's safe to say that JKs will hold their value, even go up a bit. Why ? The base price for the JL is up $2500 across the board, they are very similar in appearance, and even more Aftermarket goodies will continue to come out for the JK to keep it fresh.
The affordability of the JK will bring in the younger element, and the JL will satisfy the more well-heeled crowd, should be the Best of Both Worlds

Quick Reply: Will the JL torpedo the JK ?