Notices
Jeep Liberty Overall Jeep Liberty technical discussions. This includes all Jeep Liberty models.

02 Jeep Liberty electrical issues

Old 03-09-2019, 05:51 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 02 Jeep Liberty electrical issues

I just bought an 02 Jeep Liberty yesterday from a private seller. It drove fine through test drive, and I drove it home about 15 miles and parked for the night. This morning I start it and its a christmas tree on the dash, gauges don't work when I put on headlights and radio lights don't work, but music plays?? The odometer has a code "no bu5". I drove it to Auto Zone so they can scan it for any codes, but nothing came up. Not one single code? Is anyone familiar with this issue? Im googling and seeing a ton of electrical issues with Jeeps and now I'm hoping I dont have a lemon on my hands. I'd appreciate any tips and advice that can help me. Thank you so much.....
Old 03-10-2019, 04:44 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,815 Likes on 1,585 Posts

Not to say nobody will chime in here, but I suspect you might find a lot more support on a Jeep "KJ" specific forum. I did a quick google search for the issue.....ooof, that sounds like one of those issues where it could be a whole host of things, obviously electrical related. I hate to say it, but it's a bit too much of a coincidence that this happened almost immediately after buying it from a private party. Makes me wonder if they are doing a happy dance right now having sold it. I'd think the very first place to start is making sure that battery is indeed good. Did you have Autozone test the battery while there?

Sorry I can't be more help. There are a lot of "no bu5" threads on the KJ forums though, so time to start sorting through a lot of those. I went through a couple, but seems they lead down various paths. Biggest issue with forums in general is many people post an issue, and never a follow up!
Old 03-10-2019, 10:15 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by resharp001
Not to say nobody will chime in here, but I suspect you might find a lot more support on a Jeep "KJ" specific forum. I did a quick google search for the issue.....ooof, that sounds like one of those issues where it could be a whole host of things, obviously electrical related. I hate to say it, but it's a bit too much of a coincidence that this happened almost immediately after buying it from a private party. Makes me wonder if they are doing a happy dance right now having sold it. I'd think the very first place to start is making sure that battery is indeed good. Did you have Autozone test the battery while there?

Sorry I can't be more help. There are a lot of "no bu5" threads on the KJ forums though, so time to start sorting through a lot of those. I went through a couple, but seems they lead down various paths. Biggest issue with forums in general is many people post an issue, and never a follow up!
I appreciate your feedback. I believe I did make a post in that forum as well. I spent all day and night on the computer researching YouTube Google etc and yes it's a common issue mostly dealing with a short somewhere just need to take it apart to track each wire. This momma is a bit intimidated by this job, but I gotta do what I gotta do.

Quick Reply: 02 Jeep Liberty electrical issues