Notices
Jeep Liberty Overall Jeep Liberty technical discussions. This includes all Jeep Liberty models.

Transmission fluid change - now cannot shift out of park

Old 02-24-2019, 09:57 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Transmission fluid change - now cannot shift out of park

Yesterday I removed my daughter's 2006 Liberty transmission pan (42RLE auto.) - and changed the filter/ service fluid. After reassembling, and refilling this morning - I cannot get the center console gear selector/shifter to move from the Park position.

Any ideas why servicing the transmission filter would have done this? HOw can I get it out of park to get it down off my ramps in the driveway? Is there a shift interlock I need to reset or something?

Rex S.
Old 02-24-2019, 10:35 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A quick follow-up. I have NO IDEA what worked. I popped off the shifter cover plate, unplugged the window controls, and started fiddling with the cables, etc. On one of the attempts to shift out of park - it just worked. No idea what I did to make it work. That's my story - and I'm stickin' to it!

R

Originally Posted by Rex Smith
Yesterday I removed my daughter's 2006 Liberty transmission pan (42RLE auto.) - and changed the filter/ service fluid. After reassembling, and refilling this morning - I cannot get the center console gear selector/shifter to move from the Park position.

Any ideas why servicing the transmission filter would have done this? HOw can I get it out of park to get it down off my ramps in the driveway? Is there a shift interlock I need to reset or something?

Rex S.

Quick Reply: Transmission fluid change - now cannot shift out of park