Notices
Jeep TJ & YJ Wrangler Overall Jeep TJ & YJ Wrangler technical discussion bulletin board forum. This includes all Jeep Wranglers made between 1987-2006 and includes models such as the Unlimited, Rubicon, Sahara, Sport and X.

Looking for the loop hole!?!?

Old 02-26-2012, 03:06 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Looking for the loop hole!?!?

Ok let me start with a question, the answer to which will probably vary from state to state so I'm just looking for general answers here. I am currently affiliated with the USAF and overseas so it's not an issue but we will likely settle down in Virginia so if someone has some specifics to there, then cool. So here it is. What part of the vehicle is the title attached to? The frame? The body? The motor? If it's the frame or the engine, then by all means, keep reading. If it's the body (And I don't think it is) then you can stop now cuz the rest is pretty well moot.

Awesome, you are still with me. This gives me some hope that my evil plan may just have some potential. You may have figured out what that plan is already but let me spell it out. I want to build a newer "Looking" Jeep that is titled as an old CJ. Basically I'll buy and old CJ8 that is a big pile of junk. As long as I get a title, I don't care how bad it is. The title is all I really want. Now for the fun stuff. I buy a new, matching year hybrid frame from Throttle Down Kustoms, cut the CJ body mounts off and fab up some mounts for a 2005/6 LJ. Now I have a 1985'ish titled frame, with TJ suspension and an LJ body. I can put whatever motor (I'm leaning to a 4bt) I want in it and not worry about emissions testing since they don't do that to vehicles of that age. Not cat, no evap no, blah blah blah.

Ok so your thoughts would be much appreciated. I don't know if I'm completely crazy in thinking this. Heck I don't even know whats legal. BTW, I currently have a 2007 JKU 2WD and had plans for it like D60's and Atlas II and all that, but I just don't like it as much as the TJ's. I really miss my 04 Rubicon and well.....I gotta go back to what I like. Not that any of that has any bearing on my question. I just thought I'd put my .02 in.

Thanks in advance.
Old 02-26-2012, 05:25 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by BadOleRoss
In Virginia, your title is linked to the VIN just under the windshield on the drivers side which I am guessing is going to be on the body. There is nothing on the title regarding engine, frame or any other ID numbers.
I guess now my question is, what happens if you wreck so bad you need a new tub? Do you then change titles as well?

Also, could you (With my above scenario) take the VIN off of the old CJ and rivet it onto the new TJ tub?

Last edited by jeepcop31; 02-26-2012 at 05:27 AM.
Old 02-26-2012, 05:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jeepcop31
I guess now my question is, what happens if you wreck so bad you need a new tub? Do you then change titles as well?

Also, could you (With my above scenario) take the VIN off of the old CJ and rivet it onto the new TJ tub?
If you wreck so bad you need a new tub most people are gunna take it to the junk yard...not a lot of crashes that would result in a trashed tub and perfect frame.

Sounds like a good waste of money to me but hey...do what you want to do.
Old 02-26-2012, 08:30 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by King_
If you wreck so bad you need a new tub most people are gunna take it to the junk yard...not a lot of crashes that would result in a trashed tub and perfect frame.

Sounds like a good waste of money to me but hey...do what you want to do.
Where is the waste exactly? Many people build Jeeps from the ground up using new frames and aluminum or fiberglass tubs from quadratec or others. Essentially that's all I'm looking to do. The only real waste would be in buying the vehicle for a title, but again, if I sell it off in pieces or as a non-registered hunting truck the loss would be minimized. I'm not trying to be rude here, but I'm looking for answers to my question, not financial advice. But thanks for your input never the less.
Old 02-26-2012, 09:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jeepcop31
Where is the waste exactly? Many people build Jeeps from the ground up using new frames and aluminum or fiberglass tubs from quadratec or others. Essentially that's all I'm looking to do. The only real waste would be in buying the vehicle for a title, but again, if I sell it off in pieces or as a non-registered hunting truck the loss would be minimized. I'm not trying to be rude here, but I'm looking for answers to my question, not financial advice. But thanks for your input never the less.

Fair enough
Old 02-26-2012, 10:08 AM
JK Newbie

I guess another option is to just build it (forget buying the old CJ) but then the question remains......how do I title/register it?
Old 02-26-2012, 10:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

Not a Virginian but your scenario is not that uncommon. You're essentially building a custom vehicle. You document the build, get it certified for street worthiness and file all the paperwork with your state. In Texas they'll even allow you to create your own VIN/ serial number.

The hard part is going to be emissions testing and may affect your transferability of the vehicle or change of title from state to state.
Old 02-26-2012, 11:15 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by TXCheney
Not a Virginian but your scenario is not that uncommon. You're essentially building a custom vehicle. You document the build, get it certified for street worthiness and file all the paperwork with your state. In Texas they'll even allow you to create your own VIN/ serial number.

The hard part is going to be emissions testing and may affect your transferability of the vehicle or change of title from state to state.
Yeah that's what I'm worried about. I could be wrong, but the 25 year or older title should make the difference. IDK, so hopefully someone on here will. Thanks
Old 02-26-2012, 01:02 PM
JK Newbie

Essentially, I think you are going to end up getting a title for a custom made vehicle, and the model year on the title is going to be the current calendar year.

In Virginia, any vehicle that will need more that 75% of its actual cash value spent to return it to roadworthy condition must have a salvage certificate issued against it. This certificate must be turned into a salvage title to get it registered again. To get a salvage title, you need to present documentation of the cost of all the parts and labor that went into repairing the vehicle. If I remember correctly, if the repair cost is 75% to 90% of the vehicle value it is branded "repaired" and the title stays with the original model year, if the repair cost is > 90% , the title is branded "rebuilt" and the model year moves to the current year.

It will be hard to find a CJ in a junkyard without a salvage certificate. Also, if the vehicle was declared "unrepairable" by an insurance company, then it is for parts only and the VIN cannot be titled or registered ever again.

If you manage to find a clean title and VIN, then you need to be careful if the vehicle is over 25 years old. Vehicles in Virginia over 25 years are officially "antique" vehicles and if they are re-titled, there is a whole extra process to go through for inspections, certifying if they have been reconstructed, etc. If you go in with a vehicle as modified as you are talking about, I am pretty sure the BMV will declare it a custom build Vehicle. In that case they generate a new VIN for it and the model year on the title is the current year.

Years ago, I built a couple of kit cars on old VW chassis, and I had to stamp the new VIN I got from the BMV into the frame and the title was for a "special built vehicle" with a type of "replica".

Good luck, but I don't think you are going to find the loophole your are looking for.

Quick Reply: Looking for the loop hole!?!?