Notices
Archived - Jeep XJ Cherokee & Grand Cherokees Discuss the Jeep XJ Cherokee and Grand Cherokee at our sister community. This includes all Jeep XJ's made between 1984-2001 and all Grand Cherokees made to this date.

04 grand Cherokee 4.0 clunk

Old 06-07-2018, 08:05 AM
Super Moderator

Received 78 Likes on 72 Posts
Default 04 grand Cherokee 4.0 clunk

Hello. My girlfriend has the Cherokee I've got the JK. Jeep family I guess. I've been doing a lot of work on hers to get it running properly and I took some video of a clunk that occurs when shifting mostly from park to reverse. It will also happen but not as bad from reverse to drive.

While driving 25mph plus it's as smooth as can be. Transmission fluid and filter changed 6 months ago by me. Sometimes when accelerating from a dead stop at slow speeds a clunk occurs when it down shifts around 15mph (think about when you take your foot off the gas in a parking lot but you don't use the break).

From what I've heard this is classic "Chrysler clunk" and she says it's always done it. Me being the perfectionist I hate hearing it. Always sounds like I'm gonna chip a tooth in the gears or something.

Here is the link to the video and any help on where to start looking would be greatly appreciated. It could be a standard clunk or backlash. My list of possibilities is as follows but maybe someone can look at the video and call it out right away and save me some troubleshooting.

Possibly
1. Transmission mount and or motor mounts
2. Universal joints
3. Yoke needs to be lubed or replaced

2004 Jeep grand cheeokee freedom edition 4.0l 4x4, (2high, part time 4 wheel, full time 4 wheel, 4 wheel low)

Old 06-13-2018, 06:33 PM
Super Moderator

Received 78 Likes on 72 Posts

Bump to the top for some help.

Quick Reply: 04 grand Cherokee 4.0 clunk