Notices
Archived - Jeep XJ Cherokee & Grand Cherokees Discuss the Jeep XJ Cherokee and Grand Cherokee at our sister community. This includes all Jeep XJ's made between 1984-2001 and all Grand Cherokees made to this date.

2001 XJ Air Conditioning question

Old 08-15-2008, 03:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Question 2001 XJ Air Conditioning question

Got a quote of $1000 to fix the leak in the air system. they put dye in the freon, and are claiming the whole dash has to come out to do the repair. Hence the high quote.

Does this sound right? The entire Jeep is only worth $4k...
Old 09-04-2008, 09:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had my compressor replaced, which was practically replacing the whole system and the part plus labour was about 1200 CDN, so ...I'd say no, doesn't sound right if they're just patching something.

Do we have freon in our XJ's if they're '99 and newer? thought they did away with it?
Old 09-13-2008, 05:40 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sgt P
Got a quote of $1000 to fix the leak in the air system. they put dye in the freon, and are claiming the whole dash has to come out to do the repair. Hence the high quote.

Does this sound right? The entire Jeep is only worth $4k...
Yes I had this done under an aftermarkey warranty for about this price- the evaperator core is behind the dash. I did think they were conning me when they suggested to replace a non broken 'flap' that controls hot/cold or side/side air distribuion - is was $75. Turns out they were telling truth - new flap is metal old is plastic and can break leaving one side of car hot, other cold (I think) - found info on wjjeeps website I hink. Just this year my blower fan was cutting out (auto climate control) - again there is a tsb on wjjeeps that shows you can purchase a wire and connector kit to replace wires to fan control/resistor box in passenger footwell under glovebox - an easy $35 fix.
Old 09-14-2008, 06:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks for the input!

I was thinking of selling it, but I'm now thinking of fixing the air, and then start to work on the suspension!

Quick Reply: 2001 XJ Air Conditioning question