Notices
Archived - Jeep XJ Cherokee & Grand Cherokees Discuss the Jeep XJ Cherokee and Grand Cherokee at our sister community. This includes all Jeep XJ's made between 1984-2001 and all Grand Cherokees made to this date.

Is Commander a disappointment after XJ 4dr?

Old 01-03-2009, 07:58 AM
Former Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is Commander a disappointment after XJ 4dr?

Our 95 XJ is coming up to 400k kms./240k mi and is one of our dd's but with 4" RE lift for dog sports (herding/agility/etc).
Willing to keep it around because it just won't die by itself.
Thinking of picking up a new 4.7l Sport S group as replacement daily drive.
Don't want a higher trim package with 3 dog crates and associated tents/ cargo required for training and trials. Before you ask yes...it's often...look at the mileage and the driver works only 15 minutes from home.
Question is-can the Commander live up to being a replacement for a hard working vehicle after the rear row(s) of seats are removed?
Old 01-03-2009, 08:12 AM
JK Junkie

Strictly an opinion - the Commander's too posh for what you'll use it for - you may do better with a nicely-loaded Liberty, and save considerable $$$ too.
Old 01-03-2009, 08:47 AM
JK Super Freak

Having had 4 Xj's a Liberty and a 4.7 Commander. The Commander is as close to a Cherokee you can get. The Liberty was just not the same as the XJ. I loved our Commander, the 4.7 is a great motor, averaged 18 mpg. Once you fold down the rear seats, they fold flat, you should have plenty of room for you stuff.
Old 01-03-2009, 12:43 PM
Former Member

Originally Posted by njjeepthing
Having had 4 Xj's a Liberty and a 4.7 Commander. The Commander is as close to a Cherokee you can get. The Liberty was just not the same as the XJ. I loved our Commander, the 4.7 is a great motor, averaged 18 mpg. Once you fold down the rear seats, they fold flat, you should have plenty of room for you stuff.
Thanks so far for the replies guys. We've been shopping with tape measure in hand and pissing off dealers when I crawl underneath for peeky-boo time.
The older and newest Liberty(AKA Dodge Nitro) don't measure up for what we need in cargo room which is a non-negotiable issue because on a weekly basis space is tight.
Old 01-04-2009, 04:23 AM
JK Super Freak

Personally I love our Commander. We bought as the Baby mobile. We have an absolutely loaded limited, with the Hemi. It's posh, but so worth it. Especially with the deals you can get right now, don't think of it as posh, since you'll be getting a hell of a deal. Nice thing too, is the rear cargo AC/Heat controls in the rear if you are hauling dogs back there. Our Labs love their own personal Vents, and controls.
Old 01-05-2009, 12:59 PM
Sponsoring Vendor
Alpha Expedition

the 4.7 and the 5.7 Hemi's MPG isn't much off so i think you been happier with the 5.7
Old 01-05-2009, 04:24 PM
Former Member

Originally Posted by MBATF
the 4.7 and the 5.7 Hemi's MPG isn't much off so i think you been happier with the 5.7
Never looked into that option cause I just wanted to get a little bit (lot) better tow ability above the 3.7L.
Thanks..I'll extend my searches MBATF
Old 01-06-2009, 03:08 AM
JK Super Freak

Yes the 5.7 and 4.7 have similar MPG because of the MDS where it shuts down cyclinders while cruising on teh highway. I did a test trip down to VA. Only running in Fuel Saver mode and got 21 MPG. Love the Hemi! Also, just an FYI, I'd look at one with a Dark SLate interior, the light grey interior shows every handprint!

Quick Reply: Is Commander a disappointment after XJ 4dr?