Notices
Archived - Jeep XJ Cherokee & Grand Cherokees Discuss the Jeep XJ Cherokee and Grand Cherokee at our sister community. This includes all Jeep XJ's made between 1984-2001 and all Grand Cherokees made to this date.

factory fog lights

Old 10-21-2008, 09:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Question factory fog lights

One of the factory fog lights has "crapped-out" on our 2001 XJ...

Anyone found a better light, that still fits the factory location!?!?
Old 10-25-2008, 08:03 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had a lot of "fun" with the foglights on my 97 XJ ...

I went on eBay and found a new in box set of two (mopar) for about $80 and replaced both lights ... they had better seals than the original ones. One of mine had a bad seal and the inside of the housing had turned brown and the contact had rusted out.

My other problem was the fog lamp rocker switch in front of the shifter. 2 of them burned out before I figured out the problem. There was a re-do in the wiring harness - apparently too much voltage was being sent through, making the bulb inside burn too hot and melting the plastic housing, causing the switch to prematurely fail. The solution? Pull the light bulb. If the rocker switch is pushed down, fogs are on, just no light. I didn't feel like spending $150 on a new harness when pulling the light bulbs for a $20 switch was a much simpler solution.

Good luck!
Old 10-27-2008, 10:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by amt97
I've had a lot of "fun" with the foglights on my 97 XJ ...

One of mine had a bad seal and the inside of the housing had turned brown and the contact had rusted out.

This is my problem. But I want better "coverage" while driving with them on. So that's why I'd rather do a brighter aftermarket.

But, of course, I like the look of the factory...

Quick Reply: factory fog lights