Notices
Archived - Jeep XJ Cherokee & Grand Cherokees Discuss the Jeep XJ Cherokee and Grand Cherokee at our sister community. This includes all Jeep XJ's made between 1984-2001 and all Grand Cherokees made to this date.

Grand Cherokees and Cherokees

Old 03-02-2011, 10:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Grand Cherokees and Cherokees

I'm likely going to have to sell my JK for a number of reasons that aren't necessary to get into. I'd like to purchase something that still has some basic 4-wheeling ability...can't give it up completely...just not in my blood

So, I'm considering used Grand Cherokees or even the older Cherokees. Keep in mind that this is my daily driver and I drive approximately 50 miles each day for my commute to and from work.

My question is...what have your experiences been with either of these models of Jeep? I've been doing some searches online and the main complaint I've found about the GC is brake issues. I haven't done much looking at the Cherokees yet only because I have a feeling that I'll likely have better luck finding a GC with fewer miles that's in my price range.

Please share your experience with either of these Jeeps and let me know what I should be looking for and what questions I need to be asking when talking with dealers/private sellers.

I really appreciate your feedback.

Thanks,
Nick
Old 03-02-2011, 10:45 AM
JK Super Freak

I had a 99 WJ with 4.7L V8, was up to 125K miles, no smoke, no oil usage, motor as strong as ever. Was very capable off road, had 32"s with a 2" budget boost lift on it. Gas mileage was about 2 better than my JK. The 4.7L would be a perfect motor for the JK in my opinion.

Had the Quadra Trac II which is the Auto, Neutral, 4LO 4wd system. I would have preferred the Select Trac which has 2wd, part time, full time 4wd and 4lo

Brake Issues. I had them. I upgraded my discs, rotors, pads etc, no more problems. This issue is the size and heat build up. Warped them pretty quick.

Tail lights. The socket that the bulb snapped into had a tendancy to overheat and would stop working. Many times the bulb was fine. I replaced the socket about every 12 months. The socket, which the dealer, closed now, kept in a bucket beside the service desk, sold them for around $8.

I really did like the WJ, the look, capability, the 4.7L. I like the JK better. Plus I have more room.

Old 03-02-2011, 10:51 AM
JK Newbie

Default Loved mine..

I had a 96 Grand Cherokee...

Sold it with 225k miles on it. The only thing (other than routine maintenance) replaced was a water pump at about 175k. The guy I sold it to still drives it. He says it has no problems other than the a/c isn't very cool anymore. Wish I'd never sold it.

Hwy Mileage was about 18-19.
Old 03-02-2011, 11:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for the feedback guys...would appreciate any more from others as well.

I agree that the 4.7L would be awesome in the JK. My wife has the 4.7 in her Commander and I love driving it...feels like a race car compared to my JK with 35's and stock 3.73 gears...can't even imagine what the Hemi powered Jeeps are like

It's good to hear the overall positive feedback so far on the GC.
Old 03-03-2011, 03:31 AM
JK Newbie

I have a 93 Gc with a 141k with a V-8 had no problems other than routine stuff. I also have a 95 Ch with 182k with the 4.0 6cyl that I have $600 dollars into total that I drive every day to work. They both have been great
Old 03-03-2011, 01:12 PM
JK Newbie

So, I'm considering used Grand Cherokees or even the older Cherokees. Keep in mind that this is my daily driver and I drive approximately 50 miles each day for my commute to and from work.

My question is...what have your experiences been with either of these models of Jeep?

I have a 2001 Cherokee Sport and love it. I have a 3" rough country lift with 31" XMT Mudders. I have 140k miles and it rides great and never a problem. Only changed the brake pads and oil. They are going for around 4-5K right now with avg miles. I highly recommed the regular cherokee.
Old 04-08-2011, 06:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

i've got a '02 WJ which is my second, the first was a '99. the '99 had the I6 and felt underpowered. the '02 has the V8 4.7 and has plenty of torque and HP. to the point a friend of mine with a Benz SLK is amazed by the power. the '02 has the 2"BB, Rancho 9000s and running 32" and it's been a great ride both on and off road. when i bought this one that was about all you could do to them suspension wise, there was zero aftermarket support for them.

im looking at going the other way from a WJ to the JK this year, so i am starting to read more over here on the JKs

the '99 did have problems with the rotors and iirc that was fixed post '01 by jeep. i havent had any brake issues with the '02 at all. if anything i would suggest upgrading the rotors and pads for more braking power with the bigger tires and BB lift. the WJ iirc is just over 4K curb weight and the stock brakes to me are underpowered if you've got to stop quick.

the only other issue i've had which is another common issue is an exhaust leak. the bolts on the manifold are known to crack. typically it will be one or two of the back driver side bolts.

i am averaging 12-13MPG, mostly city driving -very little freeway. flip the driving around and the MPG goes to 15-16MPG. imo the I6 is underpowered and the mileage was equivalent to the V8, at least the way i drove it. I've got a heavy foot.

if you are looking to heavily modding it there is alot more aftermarket support for them now versus when i bought it. at the same time this will likely start to diminish over time because of the time factor alone. the other problem with lifting the WJ's over 4" is the rear wheel well. alot of cutting, bending and tweaking of the wells need to be done to accomodate 35" and bigger into the wells to minimize rub. the top two kits for the WJs are from either Clayton or Iron Rock Offroad. the guys out there that seriously wheel these jeeps typically go to those two
Old 04-08-2011, 07:14 AM
JK Enthusiast

well i have a friend that has a wk with a hemi and quadra trac II , it can do almost anything my jk can the only thing holding him back from doing everything is cleance he has no lift but he can still climb alot of the stuff that i can
Old 04-08-2011, 08:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have an 85 Cherokee right now and its the most dependable car I have. At 180,000 its still running in top shape and a great DD.
Old 04-09-2011, 03:48 AM
JK Freak

My uncle has an XJ - The 4.0L is damn near bullet proof, has 280k miles and runs like a champ!
I would put money down it will easily out last the engines in our JK.

Quick Reply: Grand Cherokees and Cherokees