Notices
Archived - Jeep XJ Cherokee & Grand Cherokees Discuss the Jeep XJ Cherokee and Grand Cherokee at our sister community. This includes all Jeep XJ's made between 1984-2001 and all Grand Cherokees made to this date.

Need help: looking to buy a 88 XJ 4.0

Old 12-19-2007, 08:34 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help: looking to buy a 88 XJ 4.0

First of all this may be the wrong board to post. I came over from the JK side of the site but need help with a 88 XJ 4.0 5 speed. The guy that has this seems really cool and honest and I talked to him for about 2 hours it seemed about his trail rig. First off its a trail only and has a lost title, but I wanted something to play around with because my JK is to nice to tear up now. I want something I can beat the crap out of and keep on going. Anyways, I drove it and he even said before I buy he would take me wheeling in it. He wants a grand and seems pretty firm on that and said he has bills to pay off and I can understand that. It has been beat up but didn't drive as bad as he put it out to. I never got into a death wobble and if I had the glass fixed and title in hand I would trust it to drive to work and leave my JK set and the miles stay down. I would get crazy looks but I'm not one to care about what I drive, the way I see it there are some people out there that would love to even have something beat up. He has a 6inch lift on it and the little tiny steering arms that are so small around are huge now and everything in the front has be beefed up. He said the only thing I need was where the front passenger coil bolts down is been fixed but could be redone. The motor has been rebiult about 30,000 ago, and there is a dana 44 in back because the 35 blewout. Oh, and it has 33/12.50 Maxxis bighorns with 50 or 60% tread left.

Would this be a good starter rig and a alright price? I know nothing about old project jeeps, I can use a good push in the right direction.
Old 12-19-2007, 08:46 AM
JK Junkie

For all the parts/mods that are into it, I think $1000 is a steal. That being said, I would HIGHLY recommend that you bring it to a mechanic for a once-over before buying it, as there may be problems that the owner isn't aware of (or isn't mentioning). It may cost you an hour of your time and up to $100, but that's money well-spent if it keeps you from buying a money-pit!
Old 12-19-2007, 08:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

So you would just ask the owner if you can drive it to a shop and have it looked at? I guess if he is going to take me wheeling before I buy he may let me take it to a shop and have it looked into.
Old 12-20-2007, 11:00 AM
HBC
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by thumperk15
So you would just ask the owner if you can drive it to a shop and have it looked at? I guess if he is going to take me wheeling before I buy he may let me take it to a shop and have it looked into.
Thumper, if he won't let you take it to a mechanic don't even think about buying it. Also, do some investigation into why there is not a title. A 'lost title' doesn't sound right to me. It's generally easy enough to get a replacement title. There is always a chance that he doesn't have a title because it isn't his! Be cautious on this. You could lose all your money if the real owner shows up.

Other than that, just about any vehicle that will start, run and stop when you want it to is worth a grand. Take care, HBC
Old 12-20-2007, 11:34 AM
JK Enthusiast

I'm confused right now, I want something to play around in and not worry about breaking something, but the gas prices are killing me in my JK. I thought about these 2 things for a while and I think I came to a conclusion. I want to keep my JK but I can't afford the gas anymore in it. My G/F has my old 2006 civic SI with the 32mpg and I got my 15mpg JK...lol. I have a buddy that has a 92 integra that gets close to take and he wants $500 for it. I could probably talk him down but he is a really good buddy of mine and if something was to break he would help me. He wants this XJ so I'm helping him help me...lol. Then he has a rig to play in and I have my JK and a good little cheap car that will help me keep my JK in the end. We both win! Thanks for the help guys and HBC I hope to wheel with you soon.

Quick Reply: Need help: looking to buy a 88 XJ 4.0