Notices
Archived - Jeep XJ Cherokee & Grand Cherokees Discuss the Jeep XJ Cherokee and Grand Cherokee at our sister community. This includes all Jeep XJ's made between 1984-2001 and all Grand Cherokees made to this date.

Oil light

Old 07-19-2018, 12:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Oil light

Hopefully this is in the right spot so I don't get the "wrong forum but..." reply lol

My parents just bought a used 05 grand Cherokee. When they test drove it and oils light was on, but no signs of a leak. The dealer changed the oil and said it went off so it must've been low on oil. They get it home and the next day the oil light comes back on, again no signs of a leak and no smoke coming out the back end. Being the most mechanically inclined of the family, they ask me for help. I haven't had a chance to look at it yet, just wanted some ideas of things to look for or if anyone has any experience.

I think it's a 3.7 liter.
Old 07-19-2018, 05:43 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,820 Likes on 1,590 Posts

Possibly a faulty oil pressure sensor? If it seems to be running fine and not other symptoms, I think that is where I'd start looking first.
Old 07-20-2018, 04:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

Have an OBD2 reader? If not getting might be productive. I have the Blue Driver. $99 and connects to your phone or tablet via Bluetooth. Will read the codes and narrow it down. Plus they have access to a knowledge base that is helpful as in "87% of people with this code the fix was X and 13% reported it was Y. "
Old 07-21-2018, 05:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by casamtb
Have an OBD2 reader? If not getting might be productive. I have the Blue Driver. $99 and connects to your phone or tablet via Bluetooth. Will read the codes and narrow it down. Plus they have access to a knowledge base that is helpful as in "87% of people with this code the fix was X and 13% reported it was Y. "
I'll pick one up, that sounds like a good deal.

Quick Reply: Oil light