Notices
Archived - Jeep XJ Cherokee & Grand Cherokees Discuss the Jeep XJ Cherokee and Grand Cherokee at our sister community. This includes all Jeep XJ's made between 1984-2001 and all Grand Cherokees made to this date.

Should I buy it, How much?

Old 07-01-2008, 12:25 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should I buy it, How much?

I have never owned a jeep before. Nor have a I shopped an Off Road Vehicle.

What should I be concerned with on this one? What questions shouold I ask? What should I look closely at? What should I offer him?

It looks OK, has fairly low miles, seems to be set up decent, but is a 94. Your help is greatly appreciated.

Here is the description:

1994 Jeep Cherokee 4x4 OFF-ROAD - $3300
Selling my 1994 Jeep Cherokee OFF-ROAD ready! Looking to get about $3300 O.B.O. I am selling because i need the money to help pay my school tuition. So prices can be negotiated.

It is 2WD with 4WD selectable. 4.0L Inline 6 with only 73,000 ORIGINAL miles on it. Always well maintained. I just recently performed an oil change, transmission service, and brake job. Both the body and frame are in great condition except for a small dent in the front left fender.

It is on a 4" Tera-Flex Long arm kit, new longer lower control arms, easy release front sway bars, 4.56:1 gearing ratio, 33 x 12.50 tires (wrangler with decent amount of tread still on them!), front brush guards with KC Headlights.

Also has corbeau bucket seats in the front and a JVC CD/Stereo. This vehicle runs strong on and off-road.

Click here for picture:

So what do you guys think?
Old 07-01-2008, 01:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

I've had experience with the 4.0L engine and I love it. (wish they would have kept it for the JK) The thing is a workhorse. My wife still has a '99 XJ (134,000 miles) and I've had no complaints. I had a '99 ZJ with 163,000 miles and it was still strong. If the engine has always been taken care of properly (oil changes, maintenance, etc.) then with 73k miles it's still a baby. A big problem with those engines though, has always been a leaky rear main seal. Have a local mechanic take a look at it and/or ask if it has been changed. At about 158k miles my ZJ was starting to show wear.

Since it's lifted, it's good to see that it has a long arm kit as it will be better when you're on-road.

Overall, it's a 14 year old car and things are going to deteriorate.
Old 07-01-2008, 07:45 PM
JK Newbie

I have 5 Cherokees(XJ's) and love them. There will always be some small things you will need to address but they are overall great vehicles.

Here is a good place to visit for all of your XJ info and questions;
http://www.naxja.org
Old 07-02-2008, 05:38 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks for the feedback adn the site.
Old 07-17-2008, 01:10 PM
Wes
JK Enthusiast

If you are looking for a starter rig that you don't have to worry about, there you go. A great entry level vechile for 3 grand. I'm pretty sure you couldn't buy a long arm kit and a good set of wheels and tires fo that price. Well, you probably could, but not getting a vechile with it.

I owned a 93 for 2 years, and sold it to my buddy and it's still running now. He doesn't take care of it, so it's beat all to hell, but he can't kill the engine, so it keeps on trucking. I say go for it bro!

Quick Reply: Should I buy it, How much?