JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   Jeeping Lifestyle (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jeeping-lifestyle-197/)
-   -   3.8 vs 3.6 (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jeeping-lifestyle-197/3-8-vs-3-6-a-349628/)

cboogie98 03-12-2019 04:54 AM

3.8 vs 3.6

greetings everyone hope all is well!!!! I wanted to get some opinions because the 3.8 seems to get a lot of hate and I’m not sure why besides fuel and power. Yesterday I had put some oil in my 2011 jku and was driving around and came to a stop light right next to a fella jeeper. It would be a crime to not roll down the windows and compliment each other’s jeeps. Dude loved my Jeep until I said I have the old 3.8L inside and his energy just shifted. “ aw man, Atleast it looks like you have the 3.6 in there, them 3.8s are no good they are sluggish mini van engines “. So I’m just confused with what’s so terrible about the 3.8 so please I need opinions on this.

P.s wasn’t the 3.6 in a mini van too or am I wrong?

karls10jk 03-12-2019 05:40 AM

They're just a little slow, nothing wrong with them. I'm up to 194k on mine and while I really enjoy my girlfriend's 3.6 in her 2016, nothing replaces the fun I have in my own Jeep (3.8 and all).

Machoo 03-12-2019 07:17 AM

I have the 3.8. Put a good deal of time on and off road. Yes it is "slow" but it is a workhorse and has been a great power plant to me where it counts, which is off the beaten and paved trail.

I hope Mark is ok with me sharing this. He has over 250,000 miles on his 3.8 and his engine has probably forgotten more about off-roading than most engines will ever experience. Check out this video he did as a look back over his 250,000 miles. All on a 3.8.......

smiller 03-12-2019 11:35 AM

It's true that there's nothing really wrong with the 3.8L 'besides fuel efficiency and power'... but aren't those two pretty important characteristics of an engine? Anyway, run what you brung and if you're happy with your vehicle then don't worry about what some guy at a stoplight says.

jedg 03-12-2019 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by smiller (Post 4337910)
It's true that there's nothing really wrong with the 3.8L 'besides fuel efficiency and power'... but aren't those two pretty important characteristics of an engine? Anyway, run what you brung and if you're happy with your vehicle then don't worry about what some guy at a stoplight says.

Sure.. those are important.. but, then again, if you're purchasing a Jeep and expecting fuel efficiency from a live front axle vehicle, you've not done your homework. Even that 3.6L doesn't get good fuel efficiency by today's standards.

As for power, the 3.6L does have more power.

I'd say that most informed folks that purchase an 07-11 Jeep have already considered (or should have) efficiency, power, comfort, fit, finish against the ability to drive places most other vehicles (in factory trim) can't go as well as being the only vehicle (modern anyway) that can take the doors and top off.

smiller 03-12-2019 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by jedg (Post 4337911)
Sure.. those are important.. but, then again, if you're purchasing a Jeep and expecting fuel efficiency from a live front axle vehicle, you've not done your homework. Even that 3.6L doesn't get good fuel efficiency by today's standards.

The relevant issue isn't the fuel efficiency of a Wrangler per se but rather a comparison of the two engines in the same vehicle. Where the 3.8 sees 14 mpg the 3.6 might see 16, so perhaps a 15% improvement. Not earth shaking and might be mitigated by many other factors, but just for what it's worth. I agree that the power difference is of much greater importance.

jedg 03-12-2019 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by smiller (Post 4337912)
The relevant issue isn't the fuel efficiency of a Wrangler per se but rather a comparison of the two engines in the same vehicle. Where the 3.8 sees 14 mpg the 3.6 might see 16, so perhaps a 15% improvement. Not earth shaking and might be mitigated by many other factors, but just for what it's worth. I agree that the power difference is of much greater importance.

Hrm... 2mpg difference... over 1000 miles at, say $3.00 per gallon... $26 difference.

I've got a 2011 JKU and a 2016 JK... the 2016 definitely has a 'zippier' feel.. but then again, that's comparing a 4-door to a 2-door, and the JKU is a automatic while the JK is a manual.

My point is... I don't disagree that the 3.6L has more torque and more horsepower which does result in a more powerful feel... but, in the end, the difference between the two is MUCH less than most people make it out to be. And, that's from someone who owns both.

SO... conclusion... feeling like you've got a lesser vehicle is all in your mind.

smiller 03-12-2019 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by jedg (Post 4337913)
SO... conclusion... feeling like you've got a lesser vehicle is all in your mind.

Completely agree. Personally if I was newly in the market for a used JK I'd pay a little extra to get the 3.6, but if I had the 3.8 I certainly wouldn't go through the expense if upgrading for that reason alone. Just drive the thing and enjoy, regardless of what some guy at a stoplight thinks ;)