Notices
Jeeping Lifestyle Post your wheeling adventures and JK trail experiences!

Colorado Mine/Rail Trails

Old 07-25-2017, 05:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Colorado Mine/Rail Trails

Colorado has a lot of neat old mining trails, rail grades and passes. I've done a lot of research on which trails I can do in my stock. So I picked Mosquito Pass as my first. It was very rocky, but nothing too hairy. I didn't even put it into 4WD. We made it to the London Mill, when I spoke with some others coming down from the top. They said it still has quite a bit of snow and I shouldn't risk it. I heeded their advice and made my way to Weston Pass. This was nice easy drive for my technically second off road trek, nothing technical just a lot of fun and all 2WD.

The next day we agreed to do Georgia Pass from Breckenridge. This was very rocky too, and seemed worse than Mosquito Pass. I had the "We're almost there!" attitude. Besides to turn around it meant double the things I had already dealt with. I almost chickened out due to worrying about rock damage to the underside. But we persisted. This time I did engage the 4 Lo. I was so thankful for this low gearing. It was freaking awesome, to roll over some rocks and thru narrow passages! Thankfully we made it to the top enjoyed the view, inspected the Jeep and all was well. I am so glad I snagged this Jeep from the neighbor, we will get to experience drives that most people will never do.

I can't wait till I meet up with a club that will take me under their wing,and show me the tricks of the trade. I'm also chomping at the bit to get a small lift kit so I don't worry too much about knocking things with rocks on the under carriage. Anyhow I'll be posting some pics shortly gotta get them off the iPhone to the iPad.

Also any Coloradans that would like to trek who are close to Denver, please drop a PM.
Old 07-25-2017, 05:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

Top of Georgia Pass

Weston Pass

Old mining or lodging remains here at the top of Weston Pass

Way up on Georgia Pass

Last edited by Seizer; 06-19-2018 at 05:33 PM.
Old 04-25-2018, 11:53 AM
Former Vendor

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Nice! Might have to check it out when we go to Colorado. Thanks for sharing!
Old 06-18-2018, 07:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

Recently hit Saxon Mountain near Georgetown. Very rocky and slow going. If you start from Georgetown like we did there is going to be some boulder dodging nearing the midway point. The one boulder others have piled rocks towards the mountainside that you can climb right over. Exactly right after this is another boulder you’ll need to dodge. Dodging this boulder gave me some serious pucker factor due to having to get the closest I’ve ever been to the edge of the shelf road. It’d be a long roll down if you’re vehicle slipped. Further up the switchbacks you’ll need to weave through some boulders, nothing too hairy. The view from the top is amazing! What is also very convenient is having 2/3 cellular tower base stations at the very top. Full bars for making calls, or perusing the net if needed. I was quite surprised to find camp fire rings and picnic tables up here and of course free camping, if you don’t mind camping at 11K feet.

Thankfully Saxon mountain road connects to other forest service roads. We chose not to go back the way we came up and took Cascade Creek back towards Idaho Springs. This lead us to an area where there is some serious 4X4ing. The area is called Spring Creek. I chose not to venture down here for obvious reasons! I had enough pucker factor for the day. Cascade Creek was rocky but nothing like Saxon Mountain road. Slow going even when it starts to turn to dirt road. Some steep down hills on the way to highway 103.

Here are the photos wife and I snapped. Again views amazing atop Saxon Mountain. In the one picture you can kind of see up into Guanella Pass and the off-road trail for getting to Argentine Pass/McClellan Mountain. Argentine Pass was a fun drive I did last year when my JK was still wearing it’s stock 29” tires and stock suspension. Way more relaxing drive than Saxon Mountain was and some cool old ghost town of Waldorf, and abandoned Santiago mine.

On the

Pucker factor

Pucker again

Argentine Pass in the way background
way to pucker factor
Old 06-19-2018, 07:44 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,819 Likes on 1,589 Posts

Originally Posted by Seizer

Pucker factor

You're supposed to drive over this, not around it! Specially since you have some additional clearance now! Need to work on these lines....LOL. And, by "over", I don't mean straddling.
Old 06-19-2018, 10:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

That's fine and dandy but when the front tire comes off I was concerned about captain crunch on my plastic running boards. I know I should take them off. I honestly need to learn more about that Resharp. I am sure there's a wrong way and right way.
Old 06-19-2018, 05:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

Since I forgot to share my Argentine Pass adventure last year doing it now. Argentine Pass is a fun and not difficult climb to the top out and back. It certainly is rocky like most old rail beds or passes used back in the day of wagons and horses. You can also dispersed camp when you get up to the ghost town of Waldorf. If you wanted to make this your base camp and hike some fourteeners you could also do this. The Continental Divide Trail passes right through here too. Grays and Torrys peaks are accessible via the saddle backs and I think the continental trail. You could also hike the actual Argentine Pass down into the valley below and visit the Pennsylvania gold mine. Looks like a serious hike though! Unfortunately we were pressed for time and did not hit the McClellan Mountain trail. There’s some neat history reads on the area if you want to use your Google skills. Here’s the visuals.

Top of Argentine with Grays and Torrys in the back.

Old Waldorf townsite

Santiago Mine remanants

Waldorf townsite

Quick Reply: Colorado Mine/Rail Trails