Notices
Jeeping Lifestyle Post your wheeling adventures and JK trail experiences!

Doors off top off problem!

Old 07-04-2014, 06:10 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JBHardware
My G/F hated (refused) to ride in the jeep with doors and top off, but now that I am dating her cousin.....problem solved. KCCO
Hahahahaha! That's awesome!

Sent from my NSA monitoring device... Using the JK-Forum app
Old 07-04-2014, 06:14 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by JK'r
I took my doors and roof off for the first time since getting my jk. It was a beautiful night temps around mid 80 nice settle breeze in VA. It was great until the gf started complaining about it being to windy and her eyes were dry, hard time breathing. Does anyone else gf have this issue? Does anyone have a suggestion to fix this problem? I love have the doors off, best feeling ever!!
Go to the hardware store and get her a faceshield... You know the ones for yard work. That or get a new girl friend LOL

My wife was nervous the first time... But the quickly passed

Old 07-04-2014, 06:14 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by JK'r
I'm leaning towards the second option! lol
There ya go :thumbup:

Old 02-14-2019, 01:18 PM
Dat
JK Freak

Received 112 Likes on 99 Posts

My bride looks forward to the days of the top off, she wears a bandana tied around her hair.
she likes riding in the 48 Willy's too
Old 08-22-2019, 04:12 AM
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The problem isn't the Jeep

Part of what makes Jeeps awesome is that they are rugged, utilitarian and jar your kidneys loose over bumps. Wind from the doors and top being off is part of it. Either you love that or hate it. For me its why I love my Jeep so much. I agree with the others on here. The problem isn't with your jeep. The Jeep is fine. Happy Jeeping!
Old 04-27-2020, 08:18 PM
JK Newbie

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Default prob. solved

Get her a full face helmet. if she dont like that , leave her at home
Old 07-19-2020, 09:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The wife keeps her JEEP Ball Cap in the JK 2-Door MOAB, and a Hair Brush in the glove box. We are both taking an Allergy Pill every morning. Between the Topless/Doorless Jeep, Canoe/Kayak's with three rivers near by, the Ranger Side by Side, and Horse Riding, allergy relief was needed this Summer.

I mounted a 120V winch to the trusses in the barn early this Summer, and built an H bracket with straps so I could remove and reinstall the 2-door hard top by myself. This is a game changer for sure. No need to round up friends to take the top off or put it back on. I picked up a Sheet Rock Caddy to remove and carry the doors. See the article in chicksontherocks.com by Dawn. Quite a few good articles to read about Jeep Camping, Trailriding, etc. I also added Door Pin Guides. Smooth out as many problems as possible removing and reinstalling the top, and the top will stay off a lot more.

I started out topless with the Round Smittybuilt Mirrors for a few weeks. They are OK, but left room for improvement. I then added a Best Top Bikini. Then I went with Die-Tech Off Road Mirror Brackets and factory style mirrors "Much Better". Now I have mirrors with the doors off that stay put and provide the exact same rear view as the mirrors on the doors. Next the Rollbar Padding went away, and it looks much better now. (NOTE: You will need Two cans of Dupli-Color to touch up the unpainted area's on the roll bars.) I have the Monster Liner kit on the table. The Carpet will probably be going away next weekend, and Monster Liner will be the new floor covering. This should be a huge improvement over the dust magnet carpeting. I have a lockable Tuffy Cubby Cover on order from Quadratec and a Rear Cargo Liner. I am expecting them in tomorrow.

Like I said to start with, the wife keeps a ball cap and hair brush in the Jeep. She drives it every chance she gets, Top On or Off. She does like driving it more with a few refinements like good mirrors, and the Bikini Top to block a little more Sun.

Bob R

Last edited by Bob Roach; 07-21-2020 at 03:57 AM.
Old 07-20-2020, 06:31 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,819 Likes on 1,589 Posts

Bob - great to hear that you're getting out and about the "fun" way! A good method of hoisting the top off is definitely a game-changer. Quick comment on lining the tub. A few years back I raptor-lined my tub. I was so tired of that carpet getting dirty/dusty, and it was just a magnet for dog fir. Turned out that a lined tub wasn't a whole lot better. It was constantly just as dirty and just as hard to clean outside of hosing and scrubbing it all out (my opinion at least). About a year ago I went back the other direction and added some BedRug carpet. It's a great product that didn't cost a whole lot, installs in a few minutes, doesn't hold the dirt and junk the same way, and can be yanked out and sprayed down. It also keeps just a bit more refinement to the interior than a lined tub.
Old 07-21-2020, 04:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I took a look at the Bed Rug Carpet on the Quadratec Site 14051.8004. ( 2-Door Only from them) It looks like a great product and comes with very good ratings.
The other issue with being topless and door-less besides DUST is RAIN.
Getting caught out in the rain topless I am sure is not on the wife's list of things she wants to do. We have kayaked in the rain however.
So far I have lucked out and not got her wet. We have pop up showers to try and avoid this time of year. On a plain old rainy day where you can rely on the weather man's forecast, I can either put the top and doors back on, or leave it in the barn and drive my pickup truck. The scattered pop up showers with very little chance can catch you out. No experience yet, but I am sure wet factory carpet is not a good thing. With the Bed Rug Carpet installed, being caught in the rain would not be a disaster. Take the carpet back out, hang it up, and hose the dust and dirt back out of it and let it dry like you normally would clean it. Then take the drain plugs out if needed and wipe the tub dry. Looks to me like Bed Rug Carpeting should be factory original equipment on a Jeep. A Jeep is supposed to be an off road vehicle with removable top and doors, isn't it?? Looks like carpeting that can be removed easily and washed should be a no brainer for a Jeep Engineer.

Bob R
Old 07-21-2020, 04:57 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,819 Likes on 1,589 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Roach
Looks like carpeting that can be removed easily and washed should be a no brainer for a Jeep Engineer.
Agree 5000%. I've been caught in rainstorms before topless and been drenched. It ain't fun I bought an emergency top from the Q store long ago. It's a total POS, but I have used it a couple times and it wads up real small for storage. I had a soft top Leak real bad in a storm once and flooded my passenger footwell. It was nice to yank that bedrug out, pull the drain plug and just set the carpet upside down overnight. It was dry the next morning. What's nice it is comes with some heat shield, but it doesn't have that thick padding to absorb any water under it. Anyhow, just a thought for you. Bedlined tub wasn't the dream I thought it would be when I did it.

Quick Reply: Doors off top off problem!