Notices
Jeeping Lifestyle Post your wheeling adventures and JK trail experiences!

Older Jeepers

Old 12-22-2013, 03:51 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Older Jeepers

Any older Jeepers , lets say 40- 60+ out there? Lets hear from you, and how long have you been in the Jeep Lifestyle.

I'll start it off, I will hit the Big 60 in June, have 2 JK's at this time , an 08 unlimited , and a 2014 Rubicon unlimited. Got hooked of Jeeps in 1975.

Last edited by jnr0104; 12-22-2013 at 03:55 AM.
Old 12-22-2013, 04:06 AM
JK Newbie

Turned 40 this year. We bought a new 2011 4dr JK Sahara for my wife so I could use it on the weekends to hunt and fish with, and have a convertible for when at the beach house. I had a 2010 Ford Flex, she wouldn't drive it, she wouldn't drive a minivan or anything "large." So she got to be the cool Mom with 2 kids in the mall crawler. Anyway, we traded the Flex in last week for a Volvo XC90, for her, and I got the JK for my daily! So happy! I had Comanches back in high school and college. Also had a late 80s Cherokee. So not new to the Jeep brand but this is our first Wrangler (we bought in '11 but I get it now!).

I'm going to keep it very mild, going to do just enough for a bit better clearance on rutted farm roads and fields. Probably just go up to 33s and minimum lift.
Old 12-22-2013, 05:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default re:

Ya, turning 60 in March also,, doesn't feel like it in my mind, but the body feels the aches and pains of 30+years of laying brick..
Been driving jeeps for around 20 yrs, 1st was an 88YJ, kept it alive till it rusted away, learned to wheel in it, next a 99 Cherokee, bought it one year old, lifted it, wheeled it, and kinda wish I still had it, but it was abused as a child, and didn't make it...Now driving an 08 JKU, bought new, and lifted in the first week of owning it. With 135,000km on it, I've had no major problems with it, mostly maintenance with a few minor repairs due to wheeling it.
What I find to be a great benefit of this hobby, I have made more friends half my age, even younger, that I can count on, hang out with, trust, and just generally enjoy the company of, than any other hobby I have ever took up in my life. Maybe we're viewed as rednecks to some, but at least we're having fun doing it....
Old 12-22-2013, 06:00 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jnr0104
Any older Jeepers , lets say 40- 60+ out there? Lets hear from you, and how long have you been in the Jeep Lifestyle.

I'll start it off, I will hit the Big 60 in June, have 2 JK's at this time , an 08 unlimited , and a 2014 Rubicon unlimited. Got hooked of Jeeps in 1975.
First, I take offense that 40s is old.

But, I am in the latter half of them and am new to JK ownership.
Old 12-22-2013, 06:39 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ShutterBug
First, I take offense that 40s is old.
Funny... I was thinking the same thing.

Personally I've been around and have owned Jeeps since I was a teenager. With a single exception, I have always had a wrangler... the exception was a MJ (a great truck!).

I've always been more of mild wheeler until a few years ago... IDK, the JK brought something out of me and I am enjoying more of the technical stiff now days.

And... onto the point of the thread.... age. Just turned 4x4 (44) a few weeks back.

Celebrated at The Hammers. We wheeled, drank, had a huge bon fire, and someone even shot off those mortar type fireworks while 20 people I do know (and about 60 people I don't), sang me happy birthday!

No better way that I can think of to spend that special day!

Wonder how the youngins do theirs?
Old 12-22-2013, 07:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

65 years here and loving my 2008 Jk to death. My wife and I are retired and in it nearly every chance we get. And with the camera we have seen and recorded some great country. I have done a lot of add on's of course, did them myself by the way, and I have it to where is is just so solid and drives so nice. And it is great off road as well. Made some pretty steep hill climbs and descent's in it just yesterday and it is still a thrill. It has never let me down yet. We are always exploring. What fun.
Old 12-22-2013, 07:21 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm 55. I just joined the jeep life style in July of this year. I have wanted a jeep for the longest time, but life and family, had me put my desire on the back burner. Since getting my JK there is no turning back now. I will be a jeep owner the rest of my life.
The following users liked this post:
arnie5150 (06-20-2019)
Old 12-22-2013, 07:26 AM
JK Newbie

I am new to the forum. I am 44. And I have a Jeep problem.😁 Don't have a JK yet. Hope to get one this next year. I came here to learn all I can before I buy one.

I have owned a 87 Cherokee ( stolen out of my driveway) & a 2000 Grand Cherokee (blew the motor the week before I was going to sell it).

I have wanted Wrangler since I started driving, but have never owned one. Feel in love with the JK Unlimited the first time I saw one. I currently have a 75 International Scout which I have wheeled a few times.

Never have wheeled much. But some of my best memories are with my dad when we rented a Jeep CJ7, twice in the late 80's, in Ouray, CO. I have always wanted to go back and do that again. I now have a 4 year old and would love to get into the Jeep Lifestyle with him, rather than just renting a couple of times.
Old 12-22-2013, 07:32 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by 20jk08
Ya, turning 60 in March also,, doesn't feel like it in my mind, but the body feels the aches and pains of 30+years of laying brick..
Been driving jeeps for around 20 yrs, 1st was an 88YJ, kept it alive till it rusted away, learned to wheel in it, next a 99 Cherokee, bought it one year old, lifted it, wheeled it, and kinda wish I still had it, but it was abused as a child, and didn't make it...Now driving an 08 JKU, bought new, and lifted in the first week of owning it. With 135,000km on it, I've had no major problems with it, mostly maintenance with a few minor repairs due to wheeling it.
What I find to be a great benefit of this hobby, I have made more friends half my age, even younger, that I can count on, hang out with, trust, and just generally enjoy the company of, than any other hobby I have ever took up in my life. Maybe we're viewed as rednecks to some, but at least we're having fun doing it....

Couldnt have said it better. I have the same thoughts cept I am 48 in a week and my first Jeep was a used already modified YJ that I had to just maintain a little. Since I lived in the very flat midwest, its wheeling consisted of Cornfields on my way to a Bonfire usually LOL It finally died this last spring, Murdered by a rampaging scrap truck whose trailer fell apart on the highway. I then bout my 2013 JKU and lifted in 2.5 and got new wheels (33s for now). The people I have met and the club I joined has been invaluable and I cannot say enough about the people I have been wheeling with OR the COMMUNITY here on the forums.
Old 12-22-2013, 07:33 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll be 52 this year.....been a Jeeper since I was about 20. My '13 JK is my fourth....it all started with a '78 CJ-5....304..Edelbrock hi rise....fender well headers....open side pipes.....reversed leaf spring lift.....oh the days before emission tests....:(

Quick Reply: Older Jeepers