JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   Jeeping Lifestyle (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jeeping-lifestyle-197/)
-   -   Is The Wave dying? (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jeeping-lifestyle-197/wave-dying-348952/)

monkeygrip 01-07-2019 04:46 PM

Is The Wave dying?

Man, I’ve only had my Jeep a couple of weeks. I told my wife that Jeep people wave at each other. I’ve been throwing my hand up to every Jeep I see. I’ve only had a few wave back. I don’t act like a lunatic or anything like that. Just a casual few fingers up on the steering wheel. I’m even here in the friendly south. The people around here haven’t caught on. Or maybe there is no Jeep Wave anymore. It’s mostly newer 4 doors. Maybe they are snubbing their noses at my 2 door.

tjkamp 01-07-2019 08:00 PM

It all depends on where you go, some places it is thick, some places they just don't know.

I moved around to a few different places right after I got my Jeep, each one was different, San Marcos, TX was a no. Houston and Galveston, TX all the time! Southern Louisiana, all the time. Western Florida/ southern Alabama: No. south central Texas 50/50.

Everywhere I have been the Jeepers eventually got used to me waving and finally started waving back. I wave at pretty much everybody though. Jeep or otherwise. It's a small town thing, I guess. When you pass the same 10 to 15 vehicles everyday you end up recognizing and waving at them.

RedRubycon 01-08-2019 05:08 PM

In my area, the actual offroad rigs will wave, the mini-vans won't... so yeah, don't see it much, unfortunately. But out on the trails, it's near 100%!

WaterRat72 01-22-2019 04:51 PM

I still get plenty of waves.

jedg 01-24-2019 09:42 AM

Around here (Fayetteville, NC) you danged near have to have your hand up full time.

fordinajeep 01-30-2019 07:50 AM

Im only a a new JK owner, but here in Boise, its mainly the modded ones that wave. I have waved to bone stockers on highway tires and nadda. But anyone with even some good A/T tires or more wave back.

resharp001 01-30-2019 09:27 AM

In the interest of playing devil’s advocate, I’d pose this question to everyone – why do you (in the general sense) feel the need to wave? Does a wave mean something in particular to you? When you’re driving a different vehicle, do you wave at people driving that same car/truck? If you don't, why not? Do you wave just because “that’s what people with wranglers do”?

I'm a waver in the general sense. I wave at people that live in my community regardless of what they drive. I wave at people walking/running along the road, working in their yards or what not. I'm polite, courteous, and helpful in my community. When I'm driving in the DFW metroplex and every Tom, Dick, and Sally wave at me, I really feel no bond or common thread that makes me think we should be waving at each other just because we drive the same car. I probably come off as a total D in that sense, but I'm also the person that will pull over on the side of the road to help you out regardless of what you drive, gender, race, age, etc.

I just think the market is so watered down. Owning a wrangler decades ago meant something. Nowadays, it's just another vehicle anyone can have for some coin.....something that has nice A/C, radio, solid tops or at least quality soft tops, cushy seats, something with actual doors...so that drivers can cruise around an be comfortable while they look cool :cool:

RedRubycon 02-02-2019 08:23 AM

For me, the wave is basically saying "hey, nice Jeep!" and I try to adhere to the wave point system hierarchy. I'll return the wave of a lesser Jeep, but will only initiate to those that are better than mine.

Except on the trails, cause then every Jeep is cool since they're actually using it!

pkdailey4 02-02-2019 09:29 AM

Don't wave at me. I refuse to wave. Did you wave at people in whatever you were driving before you got a Jeep?

automan21 02-02-2019 12:26 PM

Well I don't know. In my first week of having my Jeep I got a wave from someone in a fairly modded one. Then a wave from someone in a straight stock one. But its been a few months now and nothing.
When I ride everyone waves at everyone on a motorcycle no matter cruiser or sport bike. Thats a bit different I think.