Notices
JK CB & HAM Radios Bulletin board forum regarding all topics concerning CB and HAM radios, the installation of them in your Jeep JK Wrangler. This would include antenna mounts, wiring, tuning and usage.

Anyone using the Uniden Bearcat 980 SSB?

Old 08-27-2015, 06:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone using the Uniden Bearcat 980 SSB?

Just lurking around this forum looking for mounting options for the radio and antenna. Thought I'd see if anyone was using this radio. The reviews have all been pretty solid and the price point seems appropriate for the usage.

Anyone have any thoughts?
Old 08-28-2015, 11:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm pretty happy with my 880 which is the same radio without SSB. Quadratec has a nice bolt on mount that I use goes by the passengers left leg and a mic holder that attaches between the grab handle and dash.
Old 08-29-2015, 02:15 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Kellen
I'm pretty happy with my 880 which is the same radio without SSB. Quadratec has a nice bolt on mount that I use goes by the passengers left leg and a mic holder that attaches between the grab handle and dash.
Yup. I was looking at that exact setup. In fact, after pushing further with my research I'd pretty concluded I couldn't go wrong with the Uniden line. Earlier today I ordered my Bearcat and 3' firestick. Now, all the reviews said you should upgrade to a powered mic with this lineup, but I'm going to put that off until I can complete the powered mic research.

Thanks for getting back to me!
Old 08-29-2015, 06:27 AM
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have the 980 and really like it. Easy to use, accurate, lots of cool features. I couldn't find a place to mount it, so I ended up chopping up the top of the dash to make it fit and used the Cooltech mic mount.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2349500227.jpg
Views:	2249
Size:	518.7 KB
ID:	623040  
Old 08-29-2015, 09:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Offroad_Elements
I have the 980 and really like it. Easy to use, accurate, lots of cool features. I couldn't find a place to mount it, so I ended up chopping up the top of the dash to make it fit and used the Cooltech mic mount.
But that's where I put my stuff! Seriously, I didn't realize it was that big. I think I'm going to put it on either side of the shifter in in of the foot wells. I'll just have to see if it bothers me on the driver's side. Will it fit in the center console? Maybe one of the tuffy consoles will have to happen now.
Old 08-29-2015, 10:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine on the Quadratec bolt on.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2973587143.jpg
Views:	1285
Size:	454.7 KB
ID:	623063   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-22860434.jpg
Views:	1374
Size:	461.8 KB
ID:	623064  
Old 08-29-2015, 07:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Kellen
Mine on the Quadratec bolt on.
Yup. I'm thinking this is probably going to be what I have to do. I might look into the center console idea first though.
Old 08-29-2015, 07:23 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

I love my 980, but never use the side band. Mine is mounted above the rear-view mirror, out of the way. I bought the Uniden wireless mic, so I don't have a bunch of wires running around everywhere. The CB wires are tucked into the windshield frame trim, too. The mic isn't great, but it works. Where it really works well, though, is when spotting for someone else. I can use it really far away from my Jeep and both receive and transmit to whoever I'm spotting for. Its a pretty cool way to use it.
Old 08-29-2015, 08:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dmwil
I love my 980, but never use the side band. Mine is mounted above the rear-view mirror, out of the way. I bought the Uniden wireless mic, so I don't have a bunch of wires running around everywhere. The CB wires are tucked into the windshield frame trim, too. The mic isn't great, but it works. Where it really works well, though, is when spotting for someone else. I can use it really far away from my Jeep and both receive and transmit to whoever I'm spotting for. Its a pretty cool way to use it.
How do they talk back to you if you have the mic out of the cab? I was thinking about this exact scenario and thought it might be best to get a PA speaker. That way I'm not broadcasting my spots all over the channel.
Old 08-30-2015, 06:45 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Love it so far. Only use it for trails, not for daily driving as I'm in the city. I take my antenna off after each run as it hits the garage.

Overhead mount I built from another members idea on here and mounted to the tailgate with a ground strap from the tailgate to the tub. If I ever get tired of this mount, which I doubt, then I can move elsewhere. Have drilled a single hole yet to have it the way it is other than drilling out some of the delete plate in the back for the cable to come through.

Quick Reply: Anyone using the Uniden Bearcat 980 SSB?