Notices
JK CB & HAM Radios Bulletin board forum regarding all topics concerning CB and HAM radios, the installation of them in your Jeep JK Wrangler. This would include antenna mounts, wiring, tuning and usage.

Anyone using the Uniden Bearcat 980 SSB?

Old 08-30-2015, 07:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mhockey9090
Love it so far. Only use it for trails, not for daily driving as I'm in the city. I take my antenna off after each run as it hits the garage. Overhead mount I built from another members idea on here and mounted to the tailgate with a ground strap from the tailgate to the tub. If I ever get tired of this mount, which I doubt, then I can move elsewhere. Have drilled a single hole yet to have it the way it is other than drilling out some of the delete plate in the back for the cable to come through.
Nice, you put it in front of the sPOD. How does that feel as far as orientation to your face. Do you have to lean back much to see the display? I picked up a Firestick molded side mount that I'm hoping to mount to the tub on the driver's side if it will clear the rear glass. That's supposed to be a problem with the JK's. My Bearcat arrived today, now I just need to make a decision on the mounting.
Old 08-30-2015, 07:50 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ludwigsv
Nice, you put it in front of the sPOD. How does that feel as far as orientation to your face. Do you have to lean back much to see the display? I picked up a Firestick molded side mount that I'm hoping to mount to the tub on the driver's side if it will clear the rear glass. That's supposed to be a problem with the JK's. My Bearcat arrived today, now I just need to make a decision on the mounting.
At first I kinda did have to lean back to see it. I just cut my center pieces that the CB mount is attached to about 6-7 inches and moved the CB forward about 4 inches. Now I can just turn my head and see it fine. But honestly even if you have to lean back, its because your switching to a new channel or messing with the controls. You get used to where the controls are pretty quick if you need to make adjustments on the fly such as volume or squelch. Its not often you should have to mess with the CB on the trail. I don't have a PA and use the speaker from the CB itself. With it mounted directly above, I have zero issues hearing anyone unless its a very very weak signal.
Old 08-30-2015, 08:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

At first I kinda did have to lean back to see it. I just cut my center pieces that the CB mount is attached to about 6-7 inches and moved the CB forward about 4 inches. Now I can just turn my head and see it fine. But honestly even if you have to lean back, its because your switching to a new channel or messing with the controls. You get used to where the controls are pretty quick if you need to make adjustments on the fly such as volume or squelch. Its not often you should have to mess with the CB on the trail. I don't have a PA and use the speaker from the CB itself. With it mounted directly above, I have zero issues hearing anyone unless its a very very weak signal.
Perfect. If had ruled out the overhead mount option on account of the sPOD, but I can see now that option is back in! Also, if I install them together I can run the wiring together at the same time as well.

Do you have the link for the write up to suspend it further back? Looks like it's suspended from some channel, is there more to it than that?
Old 08-30-2015, 08:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

Speaking of wiring. Did you power it through your sPOD source or directly to the battery?
Old 08-31-2015, 12:01 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Perfect. If had ruled out the overhead mount option on account of the sPOD, but I can see now that option is back in! Also, if I install them together I can run the wiring together at the same time as well.

Do you have the link for the write up to suspend it further back? Looks like it's suspended from some channel, is there more to it than that?
Speaking of wiring. Did you power it through your sPOD source or directly to the battery?
For now its wired up to the SPOD till I get more stuff added and then just tap it into a 12V accessory source. Heres the link for the mount build that this member created. My measurements are just a bit different.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-w...-mount-305080/
Old 08-31-2015, 12:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

For now its wired up to the SPOD till I get more stuff added and then just tap it into a 12V accessory source. Heres the link for the mount build that this member created. My measurements are just a bit different. https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-w...-mount-305080/
Very nice. Thanks!
Old 10-06-2015, 08:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I must be the only one that did this, but to keep an OEM look to the inside of the Jeep, I fit my Uniden to the inside of the center console storage area.
Old 10-06-2015, 09:41 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Cheemsaf
I must be the only one that did this, but to keep an OEM look to the inside of the Jeep, I fit my Uniden to the inside of the center console storage area.
I'd love to see some pics. I've been trying to figure out why more guys don't do that!
Old 10-06-2015, 10:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

There was just no way the Bearcat was going to fit in there. Believe me, I tried. Ended up mounting mine to the speaker bar. You'll have to excuse the mid-project photo. I got caught up and forgot to snap a final shot.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-371922677.jpg
Views:	817
Size:	421.2 KB
ID:	626552

Sent from my iPhone using JK-Forum
Old 10-07-2015, 04:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by battleborn_jk
I'd love to see some pics. I've been trying to figure out why more guys don't do that!
Here ya go...a bit of dremel activity at the bottom of the console for a snug fit and no cables/wires show at all.Click image for larger version

Name:	uniden.JPG
Views:	760
Size:	697.3 KB
ID:	626624Click image for larger version

Name:	uniden2.JPG
Views:	650
Size:	704.1 KB
ID:	626625

Quick Reply: Anyone using the Uniden Bearcat 980 SSB?