Notices
JK CB & HAM Radios Bulletin board forum regarding all topics concerning CB and HAM radios, the installation of them in your Jeep JK Wrangler. This would include antenna mounts, wiring, tuning and usage.

Best cb radio for the money

Old 09-08-2013, 04:03 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here is a sheet I used directly for "Firestik" if you check sack one of the items on the list, you'll know if it's a install or ground issue. If everything on the list checks out then start tuning your antenna.

HIGH SWR TROUBLESHOOTING

For Standard Firestik Antenna Installations (not applicable to no-ground-plane installations)
Compliments of Firestik® Antenna Company Technical Support Team

Copyright © 1996 Firestik® Antenna Company
The following list shows the most probable causes of high SWR in order from the most common causes to the least common causes. If experiencing SWR problems, check each of the following conditions in the order shown until problem has been uncovered.

Shorted Stud Mount
Disconnect coaxial cable at antenna mount. Test continuity from mount to antenna coupling nut. There should NOT be any continuity. If shorted, reposition or replace insulators and retest.

Improper Type and Length of Coax
Single antenna installations require RG-58 type coax and dual antennas require the use of RG-59 type coax cables. We recommend 18 foot long coax leads from the radio to each antenna, especially on installations that are displaying high SWR problems.

Shorted Coaxial Cable
Disconnect coax at radio end. Test for continuity between center pin and threaded sleeve. There should NOT be any continuity. If shorted, repair and retest.

No Chassis Ground at Antenna Mount
Test for continuity between the antenna mount and the vehicle's common ground. There MUST be continuity. Repair and retest as required.

Open Coaxial Cable Center Lead
Disconnect coax at radio end. Test for continuity from center pin to antenna base. There MUST be continuity. If necessary, repair and retest.

Open Coaxial Cable Ground Shield
Disconnect coax at radio end. Test for continuity from the antenna mount to the coax connectors threaded sleeve at the radio end of the coax. There MUST be continuity. If necessary, repair and retest.

Improper Installation Location
Transmit antennas need free space around them if expected to perform properly. If more than 30% of the antennas overall length is parallel to the side of the vehicle and within twelve inches of that surface, SWR problems are probable, i.e. between truck cab and shell, corner of truck bed near cab, low mount position on motorhome, etc. Relocate the antenna to a position of performance (versus convenience or appearance) and retest.

Insufficient Ground Plane Available
Fiberglass, plastic and thin aluminum vehicle bodies lack the reflective characteristics needed for proper antenna performance. On some occasions, running a 12ga or heavier wire from the antenna mount to the vehicles chassis ground will be sufficient. Otherwise, a no-ground-plane antenna system may be required.

Low Quality Coax Cable
Delivering radio frequency to an antenna via poor quality coaxial cable is the equivalent of watering your lawn with a hose full of holes. The bitterness of low quality will linger long after the sweetness of low price is gone. Use high quality coax only.

Antenna Tuned Without Tip
If the antenna is tuned without the tip then put on after tuning is completed, the SWR will change when the tip is installed. All readings must be made with the antenna tip in place.

Defective SWR Meter
Some are made bad and others have been known to go bad. Try to confirm readings with a second meter.

Damaged Antenna
Aside from apparent damage that is visible from the antenna striking immovable solid objects, you can test for any internal damage by checking continuity from the antenna base to the tunable tip extender or end of wire. There MUST be continuity. If there is no continuity, the antenna must be repaired or replaced.

Firestik Antenna Company - 2614 E Adams St - Phoenix, AZ 85034 - (Tel) 602-273-7151 - www.firestik.com
Return to Index Go to Home Page
Old 09-08-2013, 02:12 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by firecapt
Here is a sheet I used directly for "Firestik" if you check sack one of the items on the list, you'll know if it's a install or ground issue. If everything on the list checks out then start tuning your antenna.

HIGH SWR TROUBLESHOOTING

For Standard Firestik Antenna Installations (not applicable to no-ground-plane installations)
Compliments of Firestik® Antenna Company Technical Support Team

Copyright © 1996 Firestik® Antenna Company
The following list shows the most probable causes of high SWR in order from the most common causes to the least common causes. If experiencing SWR problems, check each of the following conditions in the order shown until problem has been uncovered.

Shorted Stud Mount
Disconnect coaxial cable at antenna mount. Test continuity from mount to antenna coupling nut. There should NOT be any continuity. If shorted, reposition or replace insulators and retest.

Improper Type and Length of Coax
Single antenna installations require RG-58 type coax and dual antennas require the use of RG-59 type coax cables. We recommend 18 foot long coax leads from the radio to each antenna, especially on installations that are displaying high SWR problems.

Shorted Coaxial Cable
Disconnect coax at radio end. Test for continuity between center pin and threaded sleeve. There should NOT be any continuity. If shorted, repair and retest.

No Chassis Ground at Antenna Mount
Test for continuity between the antenna mount and the vehicle's common ground. There MUST be continuity. Repair and retest as required.

Open Coaxial Cable Center Lead
Disconnect coax at radio end. Test for continuity from center pin to antenna base. There MUST be continuity. If necessary, repair and retest.

Open Coaxial Cable Ground Shield
Disconnect coax at radio end. Test for continuity from the antenna mount to the coax connectors threaded sleeve at the radio end of the coax. There MUST be continuity. If necessary, repair and retest.

Improper Installation Location
Transmit antennas need free space around them if expected to perform properly. If more than 30% of the antennas overall length is parallel to the side of the vehicle and within twelve inches of that surface, SWR problems are probable, i.e. between truck cab and shell, corner of truck bed near cab, low mount position on motorhome, etc. Relocate the antenna to a position of performance (versus convenience or appearance) and retest.

Insufficient Ground Plane Available
Fiberglass, plastic and thin aluminum vehicle bodies lack the reflective characteristics needed for proper antenna performance. On some occasions, running a 12ga or heavier wire from the antenna mount to the vehicles chassis ground will be sufficient. Otherwise, a no-ground-plane antenna system may be required.

Low Quality Coax Cable
Delivering radio frequency to an antenna via poor quality coaxial cable is the equivalent of watering your lawn with a hose full of holes. The bitterness of low quality will linger long after the sweetness of low price is gone. Use high quality coax only.

Antenna Tuned Without Tip
If the antenna is tuned without the tip then put on after tuning is completed, the SWR will change when the tip is installed. All readings must be made with the antenna tip in place.

Defective SWR Meter
Some are made bad and others have been known to go bad. Try to confirm readings with a second meter.

Damaged Antenna
Aside from apparent damage that is visible from the antenna striking immovable solid objects, you can test for any internal damage by checking continuity from the antenna base to the tunable tip extender or end of wire. There MUST be continuity. If there is no continuity, the antenna must be repaired or replaced.

Firestik Antenna Company - 2614 E Adams St - Phoenix, AZ 85034 - (Tel) 602-273-7151 - www.firestik.com
Return to Index Go to Home Page
Thanks... I'll spend the next year troubleshooting this damn thing, lol...
Old 09-08-2013, 03:13 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by MtraXX
So I just installed the cobra 75 with a 48" antenna and the swr readings were way over 5, almost to 10 actually.

Is this a grounding issue? I grounded the antenna by doubling up 2 #14 awg copper stranded cables bolted to the bolt that holds down the sub box in the rear right of the tub.
I actually installed one the other day for a guy and the ring CB cable was bad, new in the box was bad. Bought a new cable in and was all good
Old 09-08-2013, 06:09 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by BubbaJK2012

I actually installed one the other day for a guy and the ring CB cable was bad, new in the box was bad. Bought a new cable in and was all good
Ring CB cable? What is this?
Old 09-08-2013, 06:23 PM
JK Newbie

Has anyone used the over head cb mount yet ??
Old 09-08-2013, 07:26 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Drifterman
Has anyone used the over head cb mount yet ??
Like this one?!?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3984609817.jpg
Views:	855
Size:	45.1 KB
ID:	495998   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-645222172.jpg
Views:	736
Size:	46.7 KB
ID:	495999  
Old 09-08-2013, 07:27 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by MtraXX

Ring CB cable? What is this?
The one that comes from cool tech. It has the firestick ring on the antenna end. If a person don't install it correctly the plastic separator on the one end can get damaged
Old 09-09-2013, 09:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BubbaJK2012
The one that comes from cool tech. It has the firestick ring on the antenna end. If a person don't install it correctly the plastic separator on the one end can get damaged

When I received my Cobra 75 and Firestick from Cool Tech, the rings and all were already assembled. And, there was no reason to disassemble it.
Old 09-09-2013, 10:46 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by RalphTomaccio
When I received my Cobra 75 and Firestick from Cool Tech, the rings and all were already assembled. And, there was no reason to disassemble it.
X2- Just installed this same kit this weekend in my JKU. The mount and antenna came completely assembled. Didn't need to disassemble it, just install as per the instructions and so far so good. I just need to find someone with an SWR meter locally to help me tune it.
Old 09-10-2013, 04:32 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by RalphTomaccio

The bolt that goes though that has the flat and locking washer and also the plastic washer. Everyone has the unthread the bolt and stick it through the hole on the mount and thread- Thus disassembly is required!!!
I've installed quite a few now, some good some bad
I'm outta here!! Good Luck!!!

Quick Reply: Best cb radio for the money