Notices
JK CB & HAM Radios Bulletin board forum regarding all topics concerning CB and HAM radios, the installation of them in your Jeep JK Wrangler. This would include antenna mounts, wiring, tuning and usage.

Best way to get started with HAM radio?

Old 01-04-2012, 07:27 PM
JK Jedi

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Best way to get started with HAM radio?

From all you HAM radio guru's what is the best way to get started from your experience? I know to buy equipment you need to get certified but other than that I'm clueless! Is there a HAM radio for Dummies book?
Old 01-04-2012, 07:47 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You should go to your local Ham radio store, don't know if there are any Ham Radio Outlets, up north, but there are other ham stores out there, just do a search and pay them a visit.

You need to pick up a study guide. There are now, only 3 classes of licenses (unlike the 5/6 when I started). The higher up you go, the more privileges.

Also check out the Amateur Radio Relay League, ARRL.ORG. They are a great source of information. When I started, I was lucky to have an "Elmer" to help me along.

"73's"

J. R.
KD6TEV
Old 01-04-2012, 08:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Arrl

Originally Posted by sm_rubi
From all you HAM radio guru's what is the best way to get started from your experience? I know to buy equipment you need to get certified but other than that I'm clueless! Is there a HAM radio for Dummies book?
Hi, there is a bunch of information on becoming a Ham operator on the web. just google it. ARRL is a great place to start. You can check out my web site-www.okcarc.org- I have a bunch of stuff on there from my research when I became a ham.
Feel free to browse the whole site, you do not need to be a member to look. When I ran across something I wanted more information on, I would find it and put it on my web site.
Check out the getting started section! It may save you some foot work.
It is a very fun hobby.
Mike
W7MCM

Last edited by Highlander; 01-04-2012 at 08:13 PM.
Old 01-04-2012, 08:46 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

in addition to what has been said already, go to aa9pw.com for practice testing...

Old 01-04-2012, 08:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

Head on over to the Ham Radio Outlet in Clairmont Mesa and pick up a test book and study. You can take practice tests online, but it's easier to study out of a book. HAM radio clubs offer testing each Saturday in San Diego county.

Here's a link to the El Cajon club: http://www.wa6bgs.us/

There are others but I'm not familiar with their websites.

73 de

W9JIM
Old 01-05-2012, 07:10 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by sm_rubi
The ARRL is the best way to find out what it's all about, and/or look up your local HAM radio club and give them a call. Oh and btw.....you DON'T have to be "certified" to buy the gear. Anybody can own HAM radio gear and "listen" to it. You have to be licensed to transmit on it....
Old 01-05-2012, 11:05 AM
JK Jedi

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by matzjeep
Ahh, just make up a call sign and boot leg like I do.
I have friends that do that but not for me I want to do it right.

Originally Posted by jimdoss
Head on over to the Ham Radio Outlet in Clairmont Mesa and pick up a test book and study. You can take practice tests online, but it's easier to study out of a book. HAM radio clubs offer testing each Saturday in San Diego county.

Here's a link to the El Cajon club: http://www.wa6bgs.us/

There are others but I'm not familiar with their websites.

73 de

W9JIM
Great useful information for me since I'm in the San Diego County! THanks a ton!

Originally Posted by AK4Dave
The ARRL is the best way to find out what it's all about, and/or look up your local HAM radio club and give them a call. Oh and btw.....you DON'T have to be "certified" to buy the gear. Anybody can own HAM radio gear and "listen" to it. You have to be licensed to transmit on it....
Thanks! I thought you needed your license or certification number of some sort so you can order equipment but just goes to show how little I know about the subject!

Thanks for all who chimed in it really helps!
Old 01-05-2012, 03:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

This forum is an excellent place to start particularly with regards to HAM radio in the JK but Amateur Radio is actually huge in scope. As others have said, a dedicated forum/site like ARRL, QRZ, Eham etc will be invaluable.

If you are looking for somebody very local to bounce things off of, shoot a PM to Fred, "Desert Fox" he's from Escondido and as I recall he is/was very active in CERT and other HAM ops. Not sure if he's been on the forum much as of late since I've been MIA again.

My JK is up for sale and has been replaced so I've been bouncing in and out less frequently but feel free to shoot me a PM anytime.
Old 01-05-2012, 07:45 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool Local Club

Frank,

As Dave and RedDavid said, contact your local HAM club. You just happen live near Escondido and the best HAM club SD County, the Escondido Amateur Radio Society (EARS). Our next meeting is next Thursday evening at 7:30 PM at the Salvation Army facility just a little south of El Norte Pkwy on Centre City Pkwy. If you are interested please send me a PM.

Fred - W6PBR
Old 01-07-2012, 03:06 AM
JK Freak

Check with you're local Ham Club most teach a class and have VE's to do testing.

Quick Reply: Best way to get started with HAM radio?