Notices
JK CB & HAM Radios Bulletin board forum regarding all topics concerning CB and HAM radios, the installation of them in your Jeep JK Wrangler. This would include antenna mounts, wiring, tuning and usage.

Can a HAM radio communicate with CB?

Old 03-24-2011, 07:21 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can a HAM radio communicate with CB?

Please forgive me if this is a dumb question but searching has not been my friend with 'CB' being such a short word.

I have read a few articles about HAM vs CB and some highlighted the solar cycle and other reasons that a HAM radio might be a better investment. All of the people I ride with have CBs right now but if I'm going to buy 1 radio to install in my Jeep, I would prefer to get licensed and purchase a HAM which leads me to my main question in the title...

If I buy a HAM radio, can I still talk with people that use a CB if they are within proper range or are the frequencies used by each type completely different?
Old 03-24-2011, 07:42 AM
JK Super Freak

Location: Simi Valley, Ca., Taylorsville, Ut. and places in between
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

unfortunately No. Legally, you cant use a ham radio for cb
or visa versa.
They are on two completely different frequencies.
Old 03-24-2011, 07:53 AM
JK Newbie

ahhh that's what I thought. Thanks for replying to both my new threads donnie :-)

So I think I'll probably go with a mounted CB since that is what most of my buddies use... If I still wanted to get into HAM radios though, are there any capable handheld versions that would be a viable option for communication while Jeeping or not really?
Old 03-24-2011, 07:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by donnie
unfortunately No. Legally, you cant use a ham radio for cb
or visa versa.
They are on two completely different frequencies.
Well? Not really correct. CB radio's run on 11 meter and there are some Ham radios that can operate in 11 meter also. I do know a freind that has & is doing it. Not sure if it's legal though.
Old 03-24-2011, 08:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Corona Doug
Well? Not really correct. CB radio's run on 11 meter and there are some Ham radios that can operate in 11 meter also. I do know a freind that has & is doing it. Not sure if it's legal though.
Doug is correct it can be done with most HF radios but isn't legal. For what it's worth most radios that can be modified to broadcast on 11 Meters will cost more than $500 while a cobra 75 should be less than $100.
Old 03-24-2011, 09:21 AM
JK Super Freak

If you want something to use just on trails, a Midland handheld or Cobra all in one will suite your purpose.
If you want a full time mounted rig, there are several to choose from.
UNiden makes a good one as does Cobra.
It all depends on what your ultimately going to do.
Hope this helps.
Old 03-24-2011, 09:30 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks

You've all been very helpful... I'm not sure what model I'm gonna buy or anything yet buy my questions have been answered
Old 03-24-2011, 09:40 AM
JK Super Freak

Your welcome.
good luck on your decision,
If you have any other questions, thats what we re here for.
Old 03-24-2011, 09:47 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by sephlaire
ahhh that's what I thought. Thanks for replying to both my new threads donnie :-)

So I think I'll probably go with a mounted CB since that is what most of my buddies use... If I still wanted to get into HAM radios though, are there any capable handheld versions that would be a viable option for communication while Jeeping or not really?
so this is probably already known.. but the only way to communicate to other Jeeps are if they are also HAM's.
There are really good HT (Hand Held Radio) out there for backpacking use... etc. And with a homemade antenna you can transmit alot further then you think,, of course if your in the canyons then it's hard to get out period. The repeater system that some of the states have allow you to communicate a long way, across states into other states etc.... also via alot of repeaters you can make a phone call called an autopatch. ......... etc... there is alot you can do with HAM radio if you want it.

like others have said using HAM radio for the 11M - CB - band is Illegal.

I bought I CB just for Jeeping... If I had the pick it would be HAM radio all the way.

Old 03-24-2011, 09:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sephlaire

Regarding the handheld HAM radio (HT) there are several starter models that run between $150-250 new depending on power output and bands supported. They work pretty well. You wont get the same range as a higher power in dash model but with the help of repeaters and/or an adapter to use a larger antenna they will do the trick.

Head over to the arrl dot org website and find out about getting started (under - About Amature Radio).

Quick Reply: Can a HAM radio communicate with CB?