Notices
JK CB & HAM Radios Bulletin board forum regarding all topics concerning CB and HAM radios, the installation of them in your Jeep JK Wrangler. This would include antenna mounts, wiring, tuning and usage.

CB Antenna ?

Old 06-16-2007, 08:34 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CB Antenna ?

How tight does the Antenna need to be in the base? I have tried two antennas and even the short one hits the edge of the carport when I back in or drive out. The longer one gets better reception and is the one I prefer. Since either one will hit I need to be able to remove it easily when I park for the evening. How tight does the antenna need to be in the socket? Is a good hand tight enough or do I have to hit it with a wrench? I would hate the latter as my antenna mounting bracket is attached behind the tire to one of the bolts that hold the tire holder on and hard to get an hand in there much less a wrench.
Old 06-16-2007, 10:13 AM
JK Enthusiast

Check out Walcott CB. They've got quick disconnects for CB antennas. that will allow you to remove it without unbolting anything. I used to unscrew mine when I had my ZJ. Over time the threads wore out and I ended up buying a whole new setup after a few months.
Old 06-18-2007, 07:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

I was going to stop in Wolcott today and have my midland tuned but didn't get a chance. I ordered my gear from them, I would definitely purchase there again.
Old 06-19-2007, 08:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jeepinjason51
Check out Walcott CB. They've got quick disconnects for CB antennas. that will allow you to remove it without unbolting anything. I used to unscrew mine when I had my ZJ. Over time the threads wore out and I ended up buying a whole new setup after a few months.
If you go this route be sure to retune, you are electrically lengthening the antenna.
Old 06-19-2007, 09:01 AM
SCF
JK Enthusiast

the quick disconnect is a sweet setup. I used it on my TJ, without any problems.

Bottom portion bolts tightly into the antenna mount. The CB mounts to the top portion, and it's a push down/twist motion that mounts the two pieces together. John L's exactly right, when you add this into the mount, it lengthens the antenna, and you will need to re-tune.

Quick Reply: CB Antenna ?