JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   JK CB & HAM Radios (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-cb-ham-radios-128/)
-   -   CB Antenna Mounts and Antenna Lengths (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-cb-ham-radios-128/cb-antenna-mounts-antenna-lengths-318225/)

MAG00 03-03-2015 01:34 PM

CB Antenna Mounts and Antenna Lengths

So out of the three options listed below, which CB antenna mount would you go with and why? Which antenna length would you go with assuming a Firestik antenna?

Teraflex Hinge CB Mount

Teraflex Hinge Accessories Mount

Jeep JK CB Antenna Fender Mount 2007+ | Right Channel Radios

I've read that that the fender mount provides better performance. If that route, I would probably look at a 2' antenna with a quick disconnect. My only thought with this option is that it would get hit with limbs and such.

The mounts at the rear of the jeep would provide better protection from limbs and I would probably look at a 3' antenna with a quick disconnect. Would I have any issues with opening the rear glass with it on?

mhockey9090 03-03-2015 04:53 PM

I went with tailgate due to me hitting a bunches of branches and other crap. But everyone here in the forum will swear by the hood mounts vs anything else.

Skidster 03-03-2015 05:34 PM

CB antenna

2 Attachment(s)
I did the mount on the spare tire and the two foot Firestick to keep the antenna from going higher than the roof. I also did the quick disconnect for easy removal if necessary.

familytime 03-04-2015 06:07 PM

Find a mount that gets the antenna above the top.Then go with a 3'-4' fire stick

Skidster 03-04-2015 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by familytime (Post 4064829)
Find a mount that gets the antenna above the top.Then go with a 3'-4' fire stick

I agree that the extra height will provide better performance, but in most cases your not talking over a mile or two away which is about it for a CB. Just a matter of preference, looks, & personal preference. Also consider how often you park in a garage or parking building.

kmrtnsn 03-07-2015 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by Skidster (Post 4064838)
I agree that the extra height will provide better performance, but in most cases your not talking over a mile or two away which is about it for a CB. Just a matter of preference, looks, & personal preference. Also consider how often you park in a garage or parking building.

Low branches are the death of that antenna configuration. For 99.8% of all wheeling uses a high unobstructed mounting doesn't gain much range advantage that the snag hazard doesn't cancel out.

CombatDiver 03-08-2015 07:31 AM

I fabricated my own 'hood' mount like the last one. Main difference is I made mine to use two existing bolts for greater stability because just one would flex under larger/heavier antennas. I also made mine to accommodate up to five antennas (because I'm a HAM radio enthusiast). The reason for the location was for the best reception/transmission possible. It works flawlessly and for challenging long distant communications it performs superbly.

CCTX50 03-08-2015 07:08 PM

I have the Tera Flex Spare tire antenna mount with a 3' fire stick. Yet to install it though. Question I have is do I need to run a separate ground or just the coax? I have removed the powder coat from the mounting holes. Those that are using the same set up or close what did you do?

I'm installing this week. Thanks y'all.