Notices
JK CB & HAM Radios Bulletin board forum regarding all topics concerning CB and HAM radios, the installation of them in your Jeep JK Wrangler. This would include antenna mounts, wiring, tuning and usage.

CB Gurus, Is This A Decent Setup?

Old 10-31-2007, 04:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CB Gurus, Is This A Decent Setup?

CB Gurus,

I don't know crap about CB radios, or any of the components, so could you evaluate the following components, that I'm thinking about getting:

Cobra 18WXSTII Radio

Wilson No-Ground Fiberglass Antenna, 3ft (comes with 17ft coax)

JK Spare Tire Mount Bracket

FireStick Medium Duty Stainless Spring/Stud Mount

Total Price $149

Again, I don't know anything about CB Radios, so, I'll explain why I chose the components:

Radio: I want a radio with the Weather Info channels, and that is black.

The No-Ground Plane antenna looks like it would be the easiest to install. Also, I don't really want the antenna sticking up way past the roof line. I would prefer the 2ft antenna, but the 3ft probably gets better reception???

I want to mount it behind the spare tire.

I figured the spring might save the antenna or mount if there was some kind of impact.

As far as mounting the CB radio, I'm not sure yet. I don't like the CB hanging in front of the mirror. Maybe I'll put in the glove box, or inside the console armrest compartment, or underneath the A/C controls.
Old 10-31-2007, 04:55 PM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm a big fan of the Firestik because of the tuning tip. Makes it easy to tune. Not sure about the Wilson.

If you want to keep it below the roof line, I recommend you do what I did. Buy the teraflex tire mount, then flip it upside down and mount it on the driver side. This combined with a 3ft Firestik is perfect height.

I use the FireRing/stud as well. i'm sure the Wilson would be fine, but I found the Firestik stuff super to work with and very well made.

Either way, a 3ft antenna on that tire mount mounted on the bottom rather than the top should do the trick!

I bet the Cooltech mount with a 3ft antenna would be below the roof line as well, but I can't verify it. Also a good way to go.
Old 07-23-2008, 01:17 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by JackMac4
I'm a big fan of the Firestik because of the tuning tip. Makes it easy to tune. Not sure about the Wilson.

If you want to keep it below the roof line, I recommend you do what I did. Buy the teraflex tire mount, then flip it upside down and mount it on the driver side. This combined with a 3ft Firestik is perfect height.

I use the FireRing/stud as well. i'm sure the Wilson would be fine, but I found the Firestik stuff super to work with and very well made.

Either way, a 3ft antenna on that tire mount mounted on the bottom rather than the top should do the trick!

I bet the Cooltech mount with a 3ft antenna would be below the roof line as well, but I can't verify it. Also a good way to go.
I am trying to set my antenna mount similar to yours. I have the teraflex mount and am mounting it upside down with a 3' Firestik II antenna. I didn't have the firering connector to the antenna so I went to radioshack and bought an adapter so that the coax wouldn't be at too much of an angle going into the bottom of the antenna. Well I don't know if you've tuned yours but I'm getting awful SWR readings from this setup. I can't get anything below the red line on my SWR meter. Where did you get the firering coax or connector?
Old 07-23-2008, 07:00 PM
JK Junkie

My opinion on the antenna, Cooltech Ultramount. It comes with the firestick 4', that is tunable tip like noted before. It comes with 18' of coax also, and is already setup. You also get a nice ground cable that goes to one of the rear bumper bolts. And it looks Sweet! It is all about $90 shipped. Check it out at cooltechllc.com Goodluck
Old 07-23-2008, 09:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by C_Kyle
CB Gurus,

I don't know crap about CB radios, or any of the components, so could you evaluate the following components, that I'm thinking about getting:

Cobra 18WXSTII Radio

Wilson No-Ground Fiberglass Antenna, 3ft (comes with 17ft coax)

JK Spare Tire Mount Bracket

FireStick Medium Duty Stainless Spring/Stud Mount

Total Price $149

Again, I don't know anything about CB Radios, so, I'll explain why I chose the components:

Radio: I want a radio with the Weather Info channels, and that is black.

The No-Ground Plane antenna looks like it would be the easiest to install. Also, I don't really want the antenna sticking up way past the roof line. I would prefer the 2ft antenna, but the 3ft probably gets better reception???

I want to mount it behind the spare tire.

I figured the spring might save the antenna or mount if there was some kind of impact.

As far as mounting the CB radio, I'm not sure yet. I don't like the CB hanging in front of the mirror. Maybe I'll put in the glove box, or inside the console armrest compartment, or underneath the A/C controls.

I have a similar set up and it works fine. I have the 4 ft Wilson no ground antenna and a Cobra 29. I didn't need the mount since I just adapted the mount tha came with the Antenna to bolt to the side of the tail light assy. Drilled a couple of holes and it mounts up fine. The tail light assy is aluminum so it is relatively tough.
Old 07-24-2008, 02:24 AM
JK Freak

The Wilson antennas are also have a tunable tip. I have a 3' Wilson, and a 4' Firestik that both tuned nicely. The 3' one keeps it just below the roofline, and doesn't catch on everything. The 4' one goes on when I head west...
Old 07-26-2008, 06:06 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

depends on how much you want to spend and what you're going to use it for.

For me, i had a several year old Radio shack compact version laying around and the mounting bracket and cb fit using the existing screw on the side of the center console, so no new holes etc.

see pic

Oh, and by the way 100th post, no longer a newbie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-26-2008, 01:20 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by jeffzjk
I just ordered the Cooltech last week was recommended by a friend. Next is what radio and where can I mount it? any ideas. Jeff
I have the Cooltech setup with the Cobra 75 WXST. Love it. With the quick disco for the antenna, I can stash the antenna and the handset and leave the top down/doors off and not watching my rig 24/7.
Old 07-26-2008, 07:45 PM
JK Freak

Holy crap!!! Me likey!
Old 07-26-2008, 09:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by pkess3
Well I don't know if you've tuned yours but I'm getting awful SWR readings from this setup. I can't get anything below the red line on my SWR meter.
Besides the powder coat on the TF mount being an insulator as Cooltech mentioned above, the 3' really doesn't get the job done that well...I have the 3' on mine and was having the same problem as you, and I even had a stainless mount to the tailgate w/o the powdercoat. What is happening is that when you go off-roading, or try to tune with the spare on, the 3' just isn't long enough to avoid interference with the spare tire. I had to take off the lock ring and the o-ring to get my SWR down, as it was up in the 4's before doing so as my antenna needed to be shortened but the tip was already down as far as possible. I'm looking at getting a 4', or longer antenna soon, as my reception and transmit are surely suffering due to the short length.

Quick Reply: CB Gurus, Is This A Decent Setup?