JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   JK CB & HAM Radios (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-cb-ham-radios-128/)
-   -   CB Radio install pics (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-cb-ham-radios-128/cb-radio-install-pics-67113/)

Brisnut 01-04-2009 01:26 AM

CB Radio install pics

5 Attachment(s)
Ok, I thought it might interest some of you to see what's behind the plastic and how to pull it apart. I decided to mount my UHF CB inside the centre console box so it's out of sight and sort of lockable.
First problem was I had to go to hardware and buy a Torx set o undo everything, you need to slide the seats forward and backward to get to all the screws, the centre gear console just unclips all the way, and then you have to flex it heaps without scratching the dashboard to get it off the handbrake and gear levers, I couldn't get the lower section out because of the handbrake but poked the wires along it ok, I think you would have to remove the handbrake assembly to get it out or remove the passenger seat perhaps. The gear knobs just pull off with a bit of wiggling.
I picked up 12v with some soldering from the power outlet in the centre console and ran the arial under the carpet into the boot then dropped down inside the driverside rear corner and just mounted it on my Mopar rear bar making sure it cleared the tailgate opening.
The centre console top and bottom panels just clip out then a pair of 7mm bolts top and bottom hold the main centre piece in place. I had to pry the outer grey bits outwards a little when I pulled it out but it just clipped back in easily.
And there's definately no room to mount a CB in the bottom panel.
I have mounted a second battery in the boot to run my fridge, but haven't connected it to the Jeep yet, I just charge it off a 240v house charger. and started putting a frame in to create a false floor to make the boot lockable, with a fridge slider and drawer to go in.
The top console cover unclips from the windscreen end and the black box under it is seems to be the compass sensor as it loses direction on the dash with it unplugged.
There is also a pair of black boxes under the centre console that may be the main CPU at a guess.
Attachment 17357
Attachment 17358
Attachment 17359
Attachment 17360
Attachment 17361

Brisnut 01-04-2009 01:35 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Attachment 17362
Attachment 17363
Attachment 17364

ZoSo-Green 01-04-2009 02:59 AM

Thanks for the pics...:thumbsup:
I am leaning toward mounting a CB in the same location.

ZoSo-Green 01-04-2009 03:00 AM

Or buy a handheld all-in-one.

Brisnut 01-04-2009 04:36 AM

Oh you may want to mount an external speaker, either on or perhaps in the back/side of the cubby box too to leave the lid shut, the mike cord comes under the edge of the lid ok too.

Brisnut 01-04-2009 04:38 AM

Originally Posted by ZoSo-Green (Post 870539)
Or buy a handheld all-in-one.

Some of us already have good CB's, hand helds always seem to get lost under the seat during the bouncy stuff, or batteries go flat, fall out, can't get enough range without a decent antenna anyway, better off using your hands free Bluetooth cell phone :)

Jsr 01-04-2009 04:51 AM

nice job!

nice install.

Can I assume that your aussie verison jk has fog/aux lighting that are adjustable? checking the detail on the switch next to the ESP...:dontknow2:

Brisnut 01-04-2009 04:58 AM

It's actually the headlights, apparently you can correct the angle according to the load in the vehicle, haven't worked out how it works yet if it's a electric motor tilt of the headlights or some electronic wizzbangedry. Not even sure how much effect it has, must find a quiet road one night pull over and see how much angle it actually changes it by.
What have you guys got filling that switch hole?

JeffD 01-04-2009 05:57 AM

I am curious as to the plugs just behind the e-brake handle. What are these for and is there power available there?

JIMBOX 01-04-2009 01:03 PM

:crazyeyes: I put mine on the sound bar, once you set the controls, you won't have any reason to even look at it

I'm fairly good size and I don't want any more "stuff" in my driving position

:clap::thumbsup: JIMBO