Notices
JK CB & HAM Radios Bulletin board forum regarding all topics concerning CB and HAM radios, the installation of them in your Jeep JK Wrangler. This would include antenna mounts, wiring, tuning and usage.

cb tuning issues

Old 04-28-2009, 03:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cb tuning issues

I recently installed a cobra 75 cb under the glove box like I have seen several others do. I am using a 4' firestick antenna on the spare tire mount that came with the antenna and cable as a kit from Quadratec. I have also seen others using this set up. I have also added a quick disconnect to the anttena.

The problem I am having is that when I check it with the swr meter it reads between 2.5 to 3. I have adjusted the antenna adjuster up and down for over an hour and cant get any better. I read another post where someone reccomended adding another ground to the antenna, so I tried this next. It still didnt help. Next I tried to hook the ground to the mount where it connects to the spare tire carrier. Again no help. As I was loosening the bolt to disconnect the ground wire I heard the cb get louder, so I checked it again. When I check it with the bolts loose, I get around 1 to 1.5 reading. If I tighten the bolts back down, the reading goes through the roof.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 04-28-2009, 04:31 PM
JK Freak

It is really sounding like a grounding issue to me, why it is getting better when you loosen it beats me. You sure the grounding strap you added really is grounded good?

Also, maybe try pulling the quick disconnect and seeing if it works better that way.
Old 04-28-2009, 05:05 PM
JK Freak

It could also be a shorted antenna to ground. Is the antenna isolated from you're mounting bracket? If not, that would explain why it gets worse with a good ground. When the ground wire is unhooked, the short goes away because there is not a good path back to ground.

My mount came with an isolating ring to keep the antenna connection centered in the mounting hole.

Last edited by Cpt. Flapjack; 04-28-2009 at 05:07 PM.

Quick Reply: cb tuning issues