Notices
JK CB & HAM Radios Bulletin board forum regarding all topics concerning CB and HAM radios, the installation of them in your Jeep JK Wrangler. This would include antenna mounts, wiring, tuning and usage.

Coax length

Old 02-20-2019, 04:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

I think you’d be fine if you cut it to length. Re-read Mark’s post about that. I intend on cutting mine to length. I happened to score 20’ of some high end coax for free from our local avionics shop. Only problem I may have is cable size with the PL259 connectors, might take some creative adapting or slight trimming of the dielectric.
Old 02-22-2019, 11:27 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by Seizer
... Only problem I may have is cable size with the PL259 connectors, might take some creative adapting or slight trimming of the dielectric.
If I understand that correctly, you just need the correct reducer adapter ...

https://www.americanradiosupply.com/...YaAnpnEALw_wcB

To be certain, you have RG-58 or some other 52 ohm coax, correct? I've found 72 ohm coax surprisingly easy to get since that's what many cable TV systems have used for years. But you wouldn't want to use that for a typical Jeep install.
Old 08-30-2019, 06:38 PM
JK Newbie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Coax length

Well, you need to take into consideration the frequency (wave length) you plan to use. If you're using HF, you have wavelengths in metres but once you go UHF and beyond you are now talking centimetres /millimetres. This means that cable is now many multiple wavelengths long and it's then cable losses become significant. As an example, UHF CB is around 62cm, so a metre of cable is already two wavelengths long.. Cables have specs that will tell you the losses to expect.. The quality of your attachment is also significant, crimped inner conductor and a few scraggly strands of the shield (outer) will not help to get all that power to the antenna... But that said, only a couple of Watts of radiated power will suffice on the tracks to chat with your mates or the spotter who makes sure you don't drop your wheel down that deep wash-out 😉
Old 08-31-2019, 06:04 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

The center of the hood is best location
Old 10-06-2019, 06:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
If I understand that correctly, you just need the correct reducer adapter ...

https://www.americanradiosupply.com/...YaAnpnEALw_wcB

To be certain, you have RG-58 or some other 52 ohm coax, correct? I've found 72 ohm coax surprisingly easy to get since that's what many cable TV systems have used for years. But you wouldn't want to use that for a typical Jeep install.
@Mark Doiron sorry for the really late reply. I scored a whole bunch of this off the Duncan avionics guys. I still have about 15’ left over. This isn’t the exact part number.
https://www.picwire.com/pic-cables/r...onnector-list/
I had no issues getting that 90 degree fitting on the cable or the straight PL259. I did have to really crank the straight connector on though. My setup works okay. I thought I’d be inventive and make a .032’ aluminum ground plane for it and installed it inside my license plate plastic. Not happy with it thinking I am going to just go ahead and move it to my steel rear bumper and be done.

I also really need to tune in my antenna properly with the SWR meter. I was being lazy because I did not want to pull the radio back out and hook up the meter. I tried adjusting the SWR as best I could hooked near the antenna. I had to splice in some length on my coax, due to not being happy at all with the Rugged Ridge tire mount bracket.

Set up works fine when on the trail with buddies, but trying to keep in touch with people at the bottom of the trail when I am up top, not so much.
Old 11-02-2019, 04:31 AM
JK Newbie

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I am using a Cobra 29 LTD mounted under the rear view mirror, on top of the dash. I have a 17' coax running to a grounded metal plate on my roof, just above the fuel door. The coax is run over the roll cage out the back glass, to a magnetic Wilson antenna. With the cheaper radios, I was getting a pulse of static about every second, but the new radio eliminated that. I realize that the center of the hood would have been the best spot for the antenna, but I am running a 10th anniversary hood, on my 2013 Rubicon, and there are really no flat surfaces. Hope this helps someone......Mike

Quick Reply: Coax length