Notices
JK CB & HAM Radios Bulletin board forum regarding all topics concerning CB and HAM radios, the installation of them in your Jeep JK Wrangler. This would include antenna mounts, wiring, tuning and usage.

Cobra 75WXST 40-Channel CB Radio

Old 06-04-2017, 08:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Cobra 75WXST 40-Channel CB Radio

Thoughts? I like the idea that I can make almost everything disappear
Old 06-04-2017, 10:32 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's a good radio and all you see us the mic. The guts fit behind the glove compartment and it's a short run for direct power from the battery through the cowl foam plug.
Old 06-05-2017, 10:34 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I mounted mine below the glove box. I also mounted an external speaker off the overhead bar of the cage. It's fine for trail use with a good antenna.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4879.jpg
Views:	400
Size:	44.1 KB
ID:	672288

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4881.jpg
Views:	401
Size:	66.0 KB
ID:	672289
Old 06-09-2017, 02:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm happy with mine, and the majority of the guys i run with have them. Make sure you get your antenna tuned after install. Either pickup a SWR meter from Amazon or use a friends, it makes al the difference in the quality of your transmission and reception
Old 06-12-2017, 07:45 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Jahamm88
I'm happy with mine, and the majority of the guys i run with have them. Make sure you get your antenna tuned after install. Either pickup a SWR meter from Amazon or use a friends, it makes al the difference in the quality of your transmission and reception
Yeah I think this is the way I'm going to go also.
Old 06-12-2017, 08:15 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by kejtar
Thoughts? I like the idea that I can make almost everything disappear

I had one for a few months before it shot craps on me. I'd say they probably have like a 5% defect rate judging by what I read on the forum here. Usual point of failure is the connector on the mic lead from the box.

Another option is the Midland 75-822. It doesn't have the nice box like the Cobra does, but it can be used as both a mobile and a hand held.

Honestly, if someone could make a combo of the two, I'd be a happy man. I don't like where they put the external speaker out on the Midland. It's at the top of the radio. I'm assuming they did that for use with a headset when it's in handheld mode. I wish there was an external output on the mobile connector cable.
Old 06-12-2017, 08:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Skippman
I had one for a few months before it shot craps on me. I'd say they probably have like a 5% defect rate judging by what I read on the forum here. Usual point of failure is the connector on the mic lead from the box.

Another option is the Midland 75-822. It doesn't have the nice box like the Cobra does, but it can be used as both a mobile and a hand held.

Honestly, if someone could make a combo of the two, I'd be a happy man. I don't like where they put the external speaker out on the Midland. It's at the top of the radio. I'm assuming they did that for use with a headset when it's in handheld mode. I wish there was an external output on the mobile connector cable.
Interesting on the Midland - I remember Radio Shack used to make a similar one nearly 2 decades ago (or rather it was a rebranded something ). Problem there was that it really wasn't putting out the power it was supposed to... wonder if it's the same case with Midland...
Old 06-12-2017, 11:26 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by kejtar
Interesting on the Midland - I remember Radio Shack used to make a similar one nearly 2 decades ago (or rather it was a rebranded something ). Problem there was that it really wasn't putting out the power it was supposed to... wonder if it's the same case with Midland...
You'd be the first I'd heard complain about it. When in vehicle mode it is connected to a full sized aerial which should help with propagation.

I am in no way trying to bash the Cobra. Lots of guys on here run them with great success, I think I just got a lemon. Rather than buy another one, I'm going to give this Midland a try due to it's flexibility. This is the route I'm planning on heading. I can put the external battery pack in the glove box when not in use.
Old 06-13-2017, 03:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

Big fan of the Cobra 75. It's small, stays out of the way, and works perfectly on trail runs with others. Even paired with a tall antenna, you aren't going to get serious range out of it, but it's more than enough for interacting with a group that's with you.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	cobra75.jpg
Views:	319
Size:	730.1 KB
ID:	672475  
Old 06-13-2017, 04:33 PM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had one...It worked okay. range was very limited on a 4ft firestick. It was a little more sensitive to tune also, grounds had to be very good. I now have a uniden 520xl using the same mounts, grounds and antenna and it works better with better range. both have 4 watts...IDK maybe the uniden has a better radio. just my .02

Quick Reply: Cobra 75WXST 40-Channel CB Radio