Notices
JK CB & HAM Radios Bulletin board forum regarding all topics concerning CB and HAM radios, the installation of them in your Jeep JK Wrangler. This would include antenna mounts, wiring, tuning and usage.

Cowl mount options?

Old 05-04-2012, 06:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by BagOfDoorknobs
That's good to know. I've also found these guys w ww.cometantenna.com. They have a bunch of lip mount antennas. But I suspect they'll have the same issue with the box frame members.

This one w ww.rightchannelradios.com/adjustable-universal-hood-mount.html

Attachment 312502

might work if there's enough of a "box" to screw it on to.

I've got an email out to these guys h ttp://cfeproducts.com/cbansys.html to see if this mount

Attachment 312504

has ever been done successfully on a jeep.
Hmm. I think Rick from Firestik is sending me a couple different types, one might be that first one you posted.

This might be my get rich quick scheme - design a cowl mount that actually works on a JK. Now all I need to do is sell 1 million of them
LOL. Well, good luck. If Firestik doesn't come up with a solution you might be the one to do it!
Old 05-04-2012, 06:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

Here's pics of my aborted cowl mount job. On this first pic, you can see where I used a Sharpie to mark two screw holes in the flexible part of the quarter panel, on the right of the photo (near that square hole). You can make that piece of metal wiggle easily with your hand. With pliers you could make origami out of it.

The existing Jeep mount is a flat piece of metal, so there's no way I can work it onto that box frame member, roll it down, then bend it back out horizontally. If I had access to a metal brake, maybe.

But, notice that big bolt where the quarter panel attaches to the box frame- that area nearly matches the specs of Dodge Ram mount (Firestik posts detailed measurements of that particular mount).

More pics:

Old 05-04-2012, 08:16 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jahbone
Here's pics of my aborted cowl mount job. On this first pic, you can see where I used a Sharpie to mark two screw holes in the flexible part of the quarter panel, on the right of the photo (near that square hole). You can make that piece of metal wiggle easily with your hand. With pliers you could make origami out of it.

The existing Jeep mount is a flat piece of metal, so there's no way I can work it onto that box frame member, roll it down, then bend it back out horizontally. If I had access to a metal brake, maybe.

But, notice that big bolt where the quarter panel attaches to the box frame- that area nearly matches the specs of Dodge Ram mount (Firestik posts detailed measurements of that particular mount).

More pics:
I have a 2008 JK. The bolt you mentioned is exactly where I tried to mount the Dakota mount. It sure does look strong so if you can find a proper mount, do it there for sure. The thinner metal more aft of this spot does look too thin!

Anyways gents, i decided to pull the trigger on the Arizona Ridge rear mount. Going with a 4' Firestick Firefly on a spring. The Arizona mount gets the base of the antenna up to the level of the 3rd brake light so I think it'll transmit nicely and with a 4' antenna, i think it'll work well (and look badass). I also think that the cowl mount woulda gotten hit too much on the trail by branches. Plus i was sick of looking for a cowl mount. Good luck though guys!!
Old 05-04-2012, 09:53 AM
JK Enthusiast

I looked at that Arizona Ridge mount too- if this doesn't work out, that's the way I'm headed.
Old 05-04-2012, 10:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jahbone
I looked at that Arizona Ridge mount too- if this doesn't work out, that's the way I'm headed.
Same here. The Arizona mount was my backup. I'm just worried that the antenna will be so tall that I'll have issues getting into parking garages. I'll probably throw on one of the quick disconnects in case I need to pull it off.
Old 05-04-2012, 10:47 AM
JK Freak

Same here. The Arizona mount was my backup. I'm just worried that the antenna will be so tall that I'll have issues getting into parking garages. I'll probably throw on one of the quick disconnects in case I need to pull it off.
My plan is to carry a crescent wrench. Comes off in seconds
Old 05-04-2012, 11:07 AM
JK Newbie

Default mounting spots

Click image for larger version

Name:	0504121400.jpg
Views:	752
Size:	54.2 KB
ID:	312611Click image for larger version

Name:	0128121719.jpg
Views:	881
Size:	35.1 KB
ID:	312612
Old 05-04-2012, 04:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by firephight
what brand is that mount on the right on the hood? I assume that when you raise your hood the antenna will hit the windshield?
Old 05-05-2012, 10:24 AM
JK Newbie

Click image for larger version

Name:	wep314n.jpg
Views:	464
Size:	9.2 KB
ID:	312938

its a NMO style trunk lip mount. it has a 1/4 wave motorola antenna
Old 05-10-2012, 09:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 4WheelingAstronomer
I have a 2008 JK. The bolt you mentioned is exactly where I tried to mount the Dakota mount. It sure does look strong so if you can find a proper mount, do it there for sure. The thinner metal more aft of this spot does look too thin!
Well, shoot. Same thing for me, I took the Dakota/Ram mount that Firestik sent me, and it looks like the right shape, but it needs to bend a little more to clear the hood when it closes. I'm going to send them pictures and see about getting a new one made to the specs I'm sending them.

Otherwise it's a rear mount like the one you posted. Thanks!

EDIT: Firestik rep said they would likely work on an update, but it wouldn't be soon. Returning my cowl mount kit and going with the Arizona I think.

Last edited by Erok; 05-10-2012 at 01:51 PM.

Quick Reply: Cowl mount options?