Notices
JK CB & HAM Radios Bulletin board forum regarding all topics concerning CB and HAM radios, the installation of them in your Jeep JK Wrangler. This would include antenna mounts, wiring, tuning and usage.

Dipole behind windshield?

Old 04-04-2017, 06:03 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Dipole behind windshield?

I'm considering adding a wide band scanner to my JK and want to use a dipole antenna. I was considering tucking it up into the upper part of the windshield molding. Will this work? Has anyone tried it?
Old 04-04-2017, 07:31 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I haven't tried this, but if it's blocked by the windshield frame at all (the outside sheet metal) then you're going to inhibit reception. Have you considered a decent vertical antenna on the hood cowl or back by the tire carrier>
Old 04-04-2017, 10:40 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ShutterBug
I haven't tried this, but if it's blocked by the windshield frame at all (the outside sheet metal) then you're going to inhibit reception. Have you considered a decent vertical antenna on the hood cowl or back by the tire carrier>
Yeah, and ultimately that might be what I go is put my CB antenna and the scanner antenna side by side on the back. Was trying to come up with a way to avoid making the JK look like a porcupine. I also considered running it along the outside of the roll cage behind the padding on one side of the vehicle.
Old 04-04-2017, 11:52 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Skippman
Yeah, and ultimately that might be what I go is put my CB antenna and the scanner antenna side by side on the back. Was trying to come up with a way to avoid making the JK look like a porcupine. I also considered running it along the outside of the roll cage behind the padding on one side of the vehicle.
I hear you. I'm mounting my CB and my GMRS/Ham antenna next to each other on the tire carrier. Too close for comfort, but they will work in the distances I need them to work.

Quick Reply: Dipole behind windshield?