Notices
JK CB & HAM Radios Bulletin board forum regarding all topics concerning CB and HAM radios, the installation of them in your Jeep JK Wrangler. This would include antenna mounts, wiring, tuning and usage.

External speakers for Yaesu FT-8900R

Old 05-12-2017, 10:39 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default External speakers for Yaesu FT-8900R

I passed my Technician and General exams last weekend and am still waiting on my call sign. So since I can't transmit I am looking and figuring out the set up for my 2010 JK. I am going with a Yaesu FT-8900R as several of the club members have them am love them. They all have them mounted in vehicles that have those silly fixed steel roofs on them so they are quiet and they can hear the internal speaker. I am looking to tie the transceiver into the speakers in the sound bar but am wondering if it can be done and if so how. It has the external speaker outlet on the back so can I plug a jack into that and then splice those wires into the sound bar speakers? Is there a way to have the output from the Yaesu override the factory stereo? What is the easiest and cheapest way to do this. I need speakers with 8 ohms of impedance what is the impedence of the factory speakers?
Old 05-13-2017, 04:56 AM
JK Newbie

A speakercraft SL1 switch is what I use. Works good. Fairly straightforward to wire up, just need to find a good place to mount it. I got mine for about $50 from a place called MCM electronics.
Old 10-21-2017, 05:36 AM
JK Newbie

Default External speaker

I also have the 8900 and it's good radio. I installed the head above the rearview mirror and there was just enough room to also squeeze in an MFJ mobile speaker. Great audio quality and super loud if needed when away from Jeep on ARES or other activities, yet need to hear it. Very quiet when windows up for QSO's. Good luck!
Old 10-21-2017, 11:04 AM
JK Freak

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

I used a Yaesu MLS-100 external speaker on mine. Just slipped the rear mounting bracket on the speaker into the mesh pocket in front of the gear shifter, fits perfectly. Ran the speaker wire stuffed under the edge of the console to the unit under the passenger seat.

Quick Reply: External speakers for Yaesu FT-8900R