Notices
JK CB & HAM Radios Bulletin board forum regarding all topics concerning CB and HAM radios, the installation of them in your Jeep JK Wrangler. This would include antenna mounts, wiring, tuning and usage.

Fender mount Ham radiation concern

Old 03-19-2017, 11:12 AM
JK Freak

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by OnBelay
How is your simplex range on the fender mount antenna? We just finished our mobile install and were really unimpressed with our simplex range between home and mobile. Looking for some comparisons.

Here is our base station configuration:

1. Icom ID-51A set to 5 watts (base station)
2. 50' of LMR-400 UltraFlex
3. Diamond X200A mounted in the attic of a one-story house (almost 9' tall, 6/8 dB gain on VHF/UHF). It's an absolute beast; other stations are shocked at our signal with only 5W.

Attachment 668604

We can hit repeaters 30 miles away, full quieting with this configuration, and can barely read repeaters from 50 miles away (with significant static).

Here is our mobile station configuration:

1. Icom ID-5100a transmitting at 50W
2. 11' of LMR-240 UltraFlex
3. Larsen NMO 2/70BK, mounted on the driver-side fender with an Accessories Unlimited AUJ1 mount.

Attachment 668605 Attachment 668606

The test:

My husband drove the Jeep, I stayed at the base station and we did radio checks (VHF simplex) every 30 seconds. We noticed significant drop off at 1 mile, and were barely able to read each other at ~3.5 miles. We've been able to hit repeaters on the mobile ~11 miles away so far (have not tried further yet).

Does this range seem a bit limited to you? Seems we're getting about the same range as a CB. The only issue we can think of is that the bond strap that goes between the engine, firewall, and hood is mostly frayed (we are going to bond the hood at both hinges, soon, and this will be a non-issue).

Thanks!
Boy, you're way over my head on this. My simplex use has typically been in a group on a trail which is within a 1 mile range using the fender mount. I recently was a ham operator for the Seed9 car rally in the desert mountains out of Jean, NV. I had my taller antenna on the rear tire carrier mount there and the group used simplex and we heard each other about 2 miles away. We have been at events where we've heard other trail groups that were probably a few miles away on simplex. I'm not an expert but I think this is just the typical simplex range and it depends a lot on your direct line of sight. Our group changed to ham from CB for 2 reasons, when in remote locations we can get out via a repeater, and to avoid the annoying CB chat from others interfering with ours.
Old 03-19-2017, 11:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

My husband drove the Jeep, I stayed at the base station and we did radio checks (VHF simplex) every 30 seconds. We noticed significant drop off at 1 mile, and were barely able to read each other at ~3.5 miles. We've been able to hit repeaters on the mobile ~11 miles away so far (have not tried further yet).

This doesn't look right at all. Your simplex range on 2 meters should be much greater, unless you are in a valley, behind a big hill, etc. If you know of someone else with a mobile rig on 2 meters, perhaps you could do a similar test to determine if it's your base setup or mobile setup.
Old 03-20-2017, 08:11 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not sure what kind of radio you are using but it you can transmit in SSB, you should be able to reach out further.
Old 03-20-2017, 11:05 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Agreed, that seems short - testing with a friend, both mobile, both Yaesu 7900's, we reached at least 6-7 miles before it started to drop off, and was still in and out here and there for a little bit beyond that.

I had the Comet 2x4SR antenna mounted on fender; they had a Comet 18" antenna mounted on top of an accessory mast in the rear. This was also in the city as well, with houses/buildings and what not in between.
Old 03-20-2017, 11:27 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Where you line of sight? typically simplex is line of sight but a lot of things can play a roll in your RX\TX situation.
Old 03-21-2017, 08:09 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It sounds like there is an issue with your mobile installation. Running 50w mobiles in my Wrangler and our Cherokee, I am able to access repeaters 25-30 miles away in all directions on 2m. Your simplex range should be greater than what you are reporting also, though bad terrain could account for some degradation, as VHF is line-of-sight, and with an indoor base antenna, you are severely limiting that line. If possible, try to get another local ham with a tower mounted antenna to use as a standard of comparison for simplex range. I can actually work 25 miles on simplex to a station with a good outside antenna mounted at 50-60 feet.
Old 04-02-2017, 09:17 PM
JK Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by CW Spook
It sounds like there is an issue with your mobile installation. Running 50w mobiles in my Wrangler and our Cherokee, I am able to access repeaters 25-30 miles away in all directions on 2m. Your simplex range should be greater than what you are reporting also, though bad terrain could account for some degradation, as VHF is line-of-sight, and with an indoor base antenna, you are severely limiting that line. If possible, try to get another local ham with a tower mounted antenna to use as a standard of comparison for simplex range. I can actually work 25 miles on simplex to a station with a good outside antenna mounted at 50-60 feet.
We improved some of the bonding but have not done a test yet. As for the base antenna ... HOA. :(

Will report back.
Old 04-12-2017, 09:20 AM
JK Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Due to the mounting location, the antenna is reacting with surrounding metal, and de-tuning it to below the 2m band. See graph of SWR and resonance below.

This might be exacerbated by terrain, too. We're going to keep the antenna at this location and possibly trim it to function better on 2m. Our analyzer doesn't cover UHF, so we're getting a spare whip to install if we ever want to use UHF. Besides, it's a good idea to have a spare element, anyway.

SWR and Reactance (swept from 142.00 - 148.3 Mhz):

Click image for larger version

Name:	Antenna Analysis.png
Views:	115
Size:	50.8 KB
ID:	670213

FYI the coax checked out OK, and we have .3db loss over ~10 feet as expected for LMR-240 UF on 2m:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Bottom of 2m Band.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	755.0 KB
ID:	670215 Click image for larger version

Name:	Middle of 2m Band.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	961.5 KB
ID:	670216 Click image for larger version

Name:	Top of 2m Band.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	1,022.7 KB
ID:	670218

-K4GMO
Old 04-15-2017, 11:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

It would be interesting to know your forward vs. reflected power.

Quick Reply: Fender mount Ham radiation concern