Notices
JK CB & HAM Radios Bulletin board forum regarding all topics concerning CB and HAM radios, the installation of them in your Jeep JK Wrangler. This would include antenna mounts, wiring, tuning and usage.

GMRS Questions

Old 05-22-2018, 05:30 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts
Default GMRS Questions

I picked up a Midland Micromobile GMRS radio for my Jeep. I just got my FCC license today.

What are some of the basic rules for GMRS, such as when do you have to give your call sign, and how often?

I also know that to use a repeater, you are supposed to ask for permission? How do you go about that?

Sorry for the basic questions, but I want to learn to use it correctly and legally. I wanted more clear communication than a CB and more range. I still have the CB for most group trail runs, but I have two Jeeps, a JK and JL, and we'll be taking them on trips, so I'm equipping each with these radios.

Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated!
Old 08-09-2018, 08:04 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Standard FCC rules are you have you ID your station once every 10 minutes when in a conversation. I run ham, CB and GMRS and I will identify myself on the ham unit within the 10 minute window when we run simplex, My GMRS transmissions are usually the same IF we are running a true GMRS channel and power. If we are on FRS, I don't bother.

In reality, you are better off getting your ham tickets. It's not hard to get a technician license, they are good for 10 years and allow a much broader frequency spectrum with more power. You also will have the advantage of repeater use while on GMRS, although you can have a repeater, they are usually few and far between.
Old 08-12-2018, 04:51 AM
JK Newbie

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by cranbiz
Standard FCC rules are you have you ID your station once every 10 minutes when in a conversation. I run ham, CB and GMRS and I will identify myself on the ham unit within the 10 minute window when we run simplex, My GMRS transmissions are usually the same IF we are running a true GMRS channel and power. If we are on FRS, I don't bother.

In reality, you are better off getting your ham tickets. It's not hard to get a technician license, they are good for 10 years and allow a much broader frequency spectrum with more power. You also will have the advantage of repeater use while on GMRS, although you can have a repeater, they are usually few and far between.
This is what I am working on now. Any recommendations on a radio setup for the Jeep?
Old 08-13-2018, 06:28 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by jk_southwest
This is what I am working on now. Any recommendations on a radio setup for the Jeep?
I run a Kenwood TMV-71a, which is a dual band 2m/70cm radio that is capable of receiving on 2 frequencies all the time and is capable of cross band repeater operations. 50W on 2m and 40W on 70cm For some, it may be a bit more radio than needed.
With the CAP mod, it can also do GMRS (technically not legal though)

One of our Hams found a Talk Cool 8900 on Amazon for $69. Dual band and small, can go in any Jeep. 25W 2m and 20W on 70cm. I understand the Talk Cool can be opened up for GMRS also.
Old 08-25-2019, 09:00 PM
JK Newbie

Cranbiz, I'm curious why you recommend going HAM over a GMRS setup. And I only ask this based on the clarity of the GMRS signal. My ears aren't as perfect as they once were and I really like the clarity of the newer GMRS radios sold. I realize a lot of people are operating them without proper licensing, but I have to think the same goes for HAM. (Admittedly, I'm pro GMRS, but I'm always curious to learn more). Thanks!
Old 08-26-2019, 03:25 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

The thing I like about the GMRS is simplicity, and that goes for the license, too. No test. Plus, it covers immediate family. The radios are very small and easy to set up. They are also extremely portable. WIth a CB, just to get more than a mile of range (My JK, even perfectly tuned, can't transmit a mile). The GMRS, with no tuning and just a standard tiny magnetic 6 inch antenna can reach out for several miles, and that's just the 5w unit. The 15 watt units get out further. With a simple upgrade, you can get a good antenna and get out there even further.

I just don't have time to fuss with HAM. Maybe when I retire. I love all the things HAM can do, but I don't really need it at this point. I'm just looking for good clear Jeep to Jeep communication with clarity and decent range. GMRS fills that need perfectly. I've got two of the 15w versions and one 5w. It also has the versatility of a couple of Midland handhelds that work really well, have good range, and are great for spotters and keeping in contact with my kids from the Jeep.

Like I said, I will explore HAM one day. I'd love to be a Skywarn weather watcher from my Jeep, but right now, I just don't have the time.
Old 08-27-2019, 03:30 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As far as the GMRS usage, I recommend contacting the owner of the repeater(s) for permission to use it/them. Sometimes you have to join a group or possibly pay a membership fee. Listen before you transmit and use common courtesy in all cases. If you do something wrong, trust me, they'll tell you. Ever communications hobby has it's 'police presence.'
Consider getting at least a Technician license for amateur radio. You'll learn a lot and it can give you vastly more communications options when you're out there on the trails or the road.

Last edited by Tryon; 08-27-2019 at 03:36 PM.

Quick Reply: GMRS Questions