Notices
JK CB & HAM Radios Bulletin board forum regarding all topics concerning CB and HAM radios, the installation of them in your Jeep JK Wrangler. This would include antenna mounts, wiring, tuning and usage.

Is this a good Antenna mounting location?

Old 07-18-2017, 07:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is this a good Antenna mounting location?

For those of you with experience with CB radios... do the pics i attached look like a good mounting location.. reception wise? I am only gonna use the CB when offroad, so as far as it being in the way of the rear door opening i would be ok with that. Thanks
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	antenna.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	309.4 KB
ID:	673385   Click image for larger version

Name:	antenna2.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	182.5 KB
ID:	673386  
Old 07-18-2017, 09:59 PM
JK Junkie
FJOTM Winner

Received 202 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by YukonBlu
For those of you with experience with CB radios... do the pics i attached look like a good mounting location.. reception wise? I am only gonna use the CB when offroad, so as far as it being in the way of the rear door opening i would be ok with that. Thanks
I'm doubtful about a good ground using the stop lamp housing. Also wondering about the strength, as in hitting a small tree branch and breaking it off.

FWIW -- I'm using is a stainless Quadratec mount attached with the tire carrier bolts. The mounting bolt pads were sanded for a good ground connection, and a separate #10 ground wire is added through the loom (along with the coax) connecting the tailgate to the body. On top of the mount is a quick-dissconnect and a medium spring, the antenna is a 2' firestik. The antenna only sticks up about 2 or 3 inches above the roof line so it's very unlikely to hit anything. It has surprisingly good range, no one has complained about reception either on or off-road.

A lot of people will say tailgate mounts and short antennas are a bad combo, but my experience is that it works pretty well given good grounding, installation, and tuning the SWR.

Old 07-19-2017, 06:15 AM
JK Newbie

You may need to run a separate ground to the chassis of the vehicle. If you do that it should work fine for off-road jeep gatherings.
Old 10-21-2017, 05:29 AM
JK Newbie

Default Antenna mounting location

I really struggled with where to put all my antennas on the JK 2 door "Radio Jeep". It's tough with the fiberglass or soft top, compared to a car with steel top (the best for groundplane). I ended up using 3 places. My Ham HF "screwdriver" HI-Q is on the left side of the tailgate with a special mount I made. The Ham VHF/UHF is on the right side of the tailgate. I have 2 groundstraps (wide braided tinned copper flexible) for the tailgate to make sure it is bonded to the chassis. The 3rd, presently a scanner, probably change to a CB at some point, is on a flat plate screwed under the hood passenger side near the stock Jeep radio antenna. In all cases, I wanted strong mechanical support for them. If you off-road, I would use some part of the chassis, bumper or tailgate to attach a sturdy mount. Good luck!

Quick Reply: Is this a good Antenna mounting location?