JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   JK CB & HAM Radios (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-cb-ham-radios-128/)
-   -   Hand held CB (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-cb-ham-radios-128/hand-held-cb-77665/)

Niteshooter 05-12-2021 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by RickC137 (Post 4381167)
I think we're primarily talking about trail use, and a generation that is used to clean, clear communications via cell phone.

On "wheeling" expeditions with multiple participants, UHF / FM communications is going to be better. Nobody uses Amplitude Modulation anymore for serious two way communications. 2M and 440 repeaters are a wonderful thing, but I routinely talk 440 simplex at a range of 10 miles or more, which is essentially the GMRS band. Hell, my dual band Tram antenna even has acceptable SWR over 2M, 440, GMRS, and MURS with a MARS/CAP mobile radio.

Most folks don't "do" radio. They just want it to work. With GMRS, and to a lesser extent, FRS, it'll work. Maybe some will get the bug and get a ham license.

I haven't laid hands on any of the Midland Micro Mobile radios yet. But they are getting popular fast, and have been embraced by Jeep Jamboree. There's a reason.

I have to admit I chuckled a bit with the cell phone analogy. I find cell phone users would probably be more sympathetic to CB radio. Out where I wheel coverage is sparse and dropped calls if I can get a signal is pretty much a crap shoot. But even down in the city dripped calls, digital noise/distortion and duct cleaning telemarketers is pretty common. A buddy uses the most annoying hands free unit in existence, if I make a sound at my end his unit automatically mutes his mic so he gets unknowingly cut off, akin to keying your mic over the other party.... But yes most folks do indeed just want something that works and that's logical but me, personally I want something that can save my butt in an emergency....

The Midland Micro Mobile radios are cute, they look a lot like their 2m/440 ham counterparts that have been stripped down function wise. It kind of sounds like you have the Technician's class license down there as you don't mention anything about using any HF bands. Pity as there are some really nice, really small 10m rigs out now such as the Galaxy SR-25MC or even one of the quad band radios such as the Yaesu FT-8900R which covers several bands in a very small package.

Niteshooter 05-12-2021 10:02 AM

Here's a bit of follow up with the Midland handheld CB. I have them in a couple of Jeeps, One with just the battery and rubber Duckie and the other with the in car kit and external antenna. The only initial downside was that it only comes with a belt clip and I like the Jeep Unique dual mount kit for the grab bar.

But being a pack rat and surplus store junkie several years ago I came across several types of cell phone belt clip kits that easily adapt to the back of the Midland. Two I show below, both have buttons that are attached to the back of the radio with 3m double sided trim tape (same tape used on cars to hold rub strips) and it holds really well. In the one Jeep I've had this button attached for a couple of years and that Jeep goes off road in the summer and that button is still holding on very well. The Body Glove button is a bit big for the slot in the Jeep Unique mount but it still holds well unmodified, the other (Road Hugger) kit's button slides right in perfectly. Both also come with quick release belt clips though I can't say I have used them but handy I suppose.

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.jk-...cc33b39113.jpg

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.jk-...8d06915650.jpg

I used the dash clip from the Road Hugger clip attach the mic from one of my radios. Instead of drilling a hole I used some of the 3M trim tape which is readily available at most auto parts stores. Handy when you want to attach something without drilling a hole. Also how I mounted the 3 outlet 12/USB socket.

RickC137 05-12-2021 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by Niteshooter (Post 4381267)

The Midland Micro Mobile radios are cute, they look a lot like their 2m/440 ham counterparts that have been stripped down function wise. It kind of sounds like you have the Technician's class license down there as you don't mention anything about using any HF bands.

I'm a General class, from back when it required 13 WPM. Icom Yaesu Ft-450d with a long wire and 100 watts. I won't mount an HF rig in any of my vehicles.

Icom on the brain...Have two Icom 2730a's

Niteshooter 05-14-2021 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by RickC137 (Post 4381285)
I'm a General class, from back when it required 13 WPM. Icom Ft-450d with a long wire and 100 watts. I won't mount an HF rig in any of my vehicles.

Interesting, that is a very nice radio that can be run mobile sort of, er well ok maybe not from an antenna standpoint.... :cool: The new Jeep’s are like most new cars, a real challenge for mounting radio gear so I get why. The new quad banders are nice rigs, especially with removable face plates so mounting is less challenging granted I basically use mine as a scanner because it was easier to mount then a dedicated scanner. Granted the one size fits all antennas leave a lot to be desired.