Notices
JK CB & HAM Radios Bulletin board forum regarding all topics concerning CB and HAM radios, the installation of them in your Jeep JK Wrangler. This would include antenna mounts, wiring, tuning and usage.

A "Heads Up" to CB'ers....

Old 12-20-2008, 02:51 PM
JK Jedi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A "Heads Up" to CB'ers....

I have noticed quite a few of you all getting, or wanting to get the best CBs, antennas, and what not inline, which I think is great. I'm into radio coms myself. But at the same time I feel compelled to let you know about something along the same lines, but a whole lot more wide open.

Let me first say that unless you are familiar with the solar cycles, then you don't know what has started to happen, and is soon to be a major change as far as radio communications is concerned. Cycle 24 (sunspot cycle) is upon us, and will be amping up big time in the next couple years. As far as CB frequencys are concerned, soon, when the dx starts to pour in from all over the world, along with all the bandit operators, (freqs above and below the 40 channels) running major power, unless you are pretty much right on top of the guy you want to talk to, say a mile or two, the DX will smash your little 4 watt signal right into the ground. After awhile when the cycle gets into full swing, all you'll hear on the CB freqs. is thousands of CB'ers, most of whom run hundreds, if not thousands of illegal watts just blanketing the airwaves. Believe me you will become very frustrated, very quickly as to the ability to talk to your jeep'n buddies, if you all manage to get a bit split up with any distance between you at all. If you haven't been whitness to the peak of the solar cycle, then you will be amazed.

The answer to this is simply.......HAM Radio!!! Now before you get visions of old men sitting around talking about their aches and pains, let me tell you.....thousands of young folks interested in radio coms are becoming aware of what is in store and are taking part in HAM radio. Reason being, the FCC has made it super easy now to become a HAM radio operator. Mostly this is because of the end of the MORSE code requirement to get a license. The written tests have gotten a little longer, but still are very easy. After passing the test, the first thing you can do is install a mobile VHF radio (2 meters) in your rig and have acsess to excellent simplex (radio to radio) FM communications, (NOT hindered by HF DX) as well as be able to access the 2 meter repeaters that are located all over the US. This will give you range like you haven't seen before. How would you like the ability to check in with the wife at home to let her know you're ok, when you and your jeep are out hunting 50 or more miles away???!!! These days, 2 meter VHF has pretty much become the "new" CB crowd, because it is much more efficient than the CB freqs. After you take part in 2 meter activity, you will realize that the whole world is at your fingertips. After another short test, you can access the world of HF radio. This will allow you to make contacts all over the world, as well as your jeep to jeep buddies, say on a trail in Vermont and talking to you on a mountain in Montana, or your friends just 10 or 20 miles away). As the cycle revs up, you will be able to do this with very little power and you can darn near set your watch as to when you can talk to your friends cross country on a daily basis. Again, soon you will not be able to do this on the CB freqs.

I started as a CB'er years ago myself as did many, MANY HAMS. I realized pretty quickly that CB is very limited, and after a few years I became educated as to the real potential in RF comunications. They say Cycle 24 has the potentail to be the best cycle for communications yet to be seen. Don't suffer the limits of your CB when this happens. Utilize the DX and become a HAM Radio Operator. Believe me you'll have a blast...!!!
Old 12-20-2008, 03:36 PM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Excellent thread, and getting the HAM equipment is something I'm in the process of right now.
My brother is a retired AF colonel, and has been active in ham equipment for a long long time.
I've got a 2 meter handheld ICOM IC-92AD, and will be adding a mobile unit to the Jeep in the very near future. An IC-706MKIIG ICOM is what I have in mind.
Old 12-20-2008, 04:59 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by edwin907
Excellent thread, and getting the HAM equipment is something I'm in the process of right now.
My brother is a retired AF colonel, and has been active in ham equipment for a long long time.
I've got a 2 meter handheld ICOM IC-92AD, and will be adding a mobile unit to the Jeep in the very near future. An IC-706MKIIG ICOM is what I have in mind.
Excellent...glad to hear it. I'm sure your brother will help you along nicely. Did you get your license yet? The 706 is a very popular radio........everything (HF-VHF) in one nice little box...!!! I have an older Icom 2000 mobile for VHF but still don't have an HF for the jeep, as my HF is a Kenwood TS950SDX which is my base. I too have been thinking about the 706 for the JK. What do you plan for antenna/s? HAM sticks are very popular as you can use the same mount and just change stingers for the different bands.
Good Luck, and here's to Cycle 24...!!!
Dave / wl7cmg
Old 12-20-2008, 05:07 PM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What's the realistic cost to get into something like that?
Old 12-20-2008, 07:55 PM
JK Freak

you mean i am supose to have a liecense for my connex 3300 peaked out lol i guess i am a bandit runner then
Old 12-20-2008, 08:55 PM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

while I appreciate your insight, I think you're way off - 90% of the people on here don't need and/or want to use amatuer radio. Why? Because the only time they use radio communications is on the trail.

If what you're spelling out were to ever happen, I'd still not use ham - Why again? It's not realistic to get licensed for something you use very infrequently. I'd rather use GMRS/FRS.

I realize the test for amateur isnt hard these days, but GMRS doesn't require even a test and its cheaper and just as effective for small area communications.
Old 12-21-2008, 12:55 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by JackMac4
while I appreciate your insight, I think you're way off - 90% of the people on here don't need and/or want to use amatuer radio. Why? Because the only time they use radio communications is on the trail.

If what you're spelling out were to ever happen, I'd still not use ham - Why again? It's not realistic to get licensed for something you use very infrequently. I'd rather use GMRS/FRS.

I realize the test for amateur isnt hard these days, but GMRS doesn't require even a test and its cheaper and just as effective for small area communications.
Way off?......well I understand what you're saying, but if 90% of the people on here don't need or want to use amateur radio, it is probably only because 80%of them don't really realize what amateur radio encompasses these days. I only say this because I was one of them.

It's not weather or not Cycle 24 "were to happen"......it is, and will. I've been involved in radio for the last 2 solar cycles (a cycle is every 11 years) and know what it will do to the CB freqs. Yes, many don't want to get licensed if they are only going to be on the air infrequently, but again when they find out they won't be able to talk to their buddy more than 3-4 miles away that may change. Especially if you are by yourself and get stuck, or break down and plan to use your CB to contact somebody for help and can't get through. With HAM radio you could be broke down in Oregon, and get ahold of somebody in Alambama to have him make a call for help for you. And when you realize what kind of communications you can have access to, and you like to talk on the radio, well...it gets addicting, and you'll want to be on the air all the time.

GMRS has it's place, but again, it's very limited. Like you say, for some people that's all they need, and that's fine. I'm talking to folks who really want to take part in major, high quality communications, where the sky is the limit. As far as being cheaper, HAM radio doesn't have to be spendy to get started. You can pick up good used gear at a HAM Fest for very little....say less than $100. for a nice 2 meter mobile, and antenna. The amount you invest in HAM radio, is only related to how far you want to go with it. Most start small and inexpensive, like I did, and expand out as far as the enjoyment takes them.

Let me ask you if this sounds fun.....???
You have Jeep friends here on the forum right? Say you find out one of them is also a HAM op. You both say you're going wheelin this weekend. Before hand you meet here on the forum, PM, or instant message each other to make a "sked" (a time to meet on the air), jump in your jeeps, turn on your HF radios and chat all the way along the highway, trail, and back home again. The only difference is you're on the west coast, and your friend is on the east....!!!
Old 12-21-2008, 06:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by AK4Dave
Way off?......well I understand what you're saying, but if 90% of the people on here don't need or want to use amateur radio, it is probably only because 80%of them don't really realize what amateur radio encompasses these days. I only say this because I was one of them.

It's not weather or not Cycle 24 "were to happen"......it is, and will. I've been involved in radio for the last 2 solar cycles (a cycle is every 11 years) and know what it will do to the CB freqs. Yes, many don't want to get licensed if they are only going to be on the air infrequently, but again when they find out they won't be able to talk to their buddy more than 3-4 miles away that may change. Especially if you are by yourself and get stuck, or break down and plan to use your CB to contact somebody for help and can't get through. With HAM radio you could be broke down in Oregon, and get ahold of somebody in Alambama to have him make a call for help for you. And when you realize what kind of communications you can have access to, and you like to talk on the radio, well...it gets addicting, and you'll want to be on the air all the time.

GMRS has it's place, but again, it's very limited. Like you say, for some people that's all they need, and that's fine. I'm talking to folks who really want to take part in major, high quality communications, where the sky is the limit. As far as being cheaper, HAM radio doesn't have to be spendy to get started. You can pick up good used gear at a HAM Fest for very little....say less than $100. for a nice 2 meter mobile, and antenna. The amount you invest in HAM radio, is only related to how far you want to go with it. Most start small and inexpensive, like I did, and expand out as far as the enjoyment takes them.

Let me ask you if this sounds fun.....???
You have Jeep friends here on the forum right? Say you find out one of them is also a HAM op. You both say you're going wheelin this weekend. Before hand you meet here on the forum, PM, or instant message each other to make a "sked" (a time to meet on the air), jump in your jeeps, turn on your HF radios and chat all the way along the highway, trail, and back home again. The only difference is you're on the west coast, and your friend is on the east....!!!
Sorry but I have to agree with Jack, you are way off. Now some jeepers will like this idea. I am not against it, however I have no need for it. When on a trail ride I usually only need to talk to some at most a mile away.

There is also a second reason for not waiting this. When I am out on a trail ride and my wife is at home. I would like to piece and quiet of not being bothered by her. My wife and I get along great and she likes wheeling, however there are time my buddies and I like to leave the wives at home and just have fun being guys. I wouldn't want the wife to be able to eves drop on our conversations. As well as half the country to hear us. I like the fact that a CB only goes a few miles.
Old 12-21-2008, 07:29 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I'm certainly not replacing my CB radio, heck it's an expensive and beautiful Galaxy 939 and it works great, but I will definitely augment it with mobile and a handheld units.

A buddy, Terry back in SC, a pretty hard core offroader who wheels with some even harder core guys, told me about a off road trip where they broke something on the front of a Chevy pickup. Terry made a run back to cell phone coverage to call a buddy who was then bringing the part.
On the way back Terry broke a u-joint in his Jeep, stuck, the spare u-joints with the Chevy, no cell coverage and still out of range of the CBs in his offroad group. Sure, he shouln't have gone by himself on such a difficult trail but the other working 4wd was fixing the Chevy.

Then 2 Jeeps come by, both ham operators.
5 minutes later his friend bringing the Chevy part has stopped for the Jeep's replacement u-joint also.

Gotta love communications.
Old 12-21-2008, 09:18 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile Options

First off, AK4Dave lives on the Kenai Peninsula, in Alaska, and has a considerably different environment and communications requirement than most of you who have responded to his post and live in the "southeast" of the lower 48 states. Secondly, he took time to alert the rest of us on the JK board that, like it or not, our CBs may well be affected by Sun Spot Cycle 24. This is a hard core fact that I have had experience with in the past. Thank you Dave.
And lastly, Dave provided an option to CB, the HAM radio system, that if used could preclude communications interruptions that the CB frequency band may suffer during intense periods of sun spot activity. Like it or not, all of the data in Dave's post provided useful information and a solid alternative solution. "Good on ya' Dave."

JackMac4 mentioned the GMRS/FRS radios as an option. Well, the GMRS radios also requires a FCC license but I can't remember anyone I know every getting one. I carry and use two Motorola T7450 Talkabout radios in my Jeep at all times. Their performance is no better, and in some cases is worse than my Cobra 75 CB. The GMRS is an alternative to the CB, but offers no improvement in capabilities for Jeepers on the trail.

The HAM radio option does offer considerably improved range and mode capabilities when compared to the garden variety CB of even a SSB CB. It then becomes a cost trade off analysis to see how much in the way of improved capabilities you can afford. Like the CB or GMRS radios, the HAM VHF radios are line of sight and are hindered by the same environmental restrictions like trying to talk from a valley or canyon. The HAM VHF radios generally have more power out than a CB or GMRS. On the other hand, HAM HF (High Frequency) radios generate sky waves which have the ability to transmit almost anywhere in the world if that blows your skirt up. Bottom line, HAM radio options do offer much improved capabilities over a CB. How much are you willing to pay from them?

Quick Reply: A "Heads Up" to CB'ers....