JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   JK CB & HAM Radios (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-cb-ham-radios-128/)
-   -   iPod and CoolTech's VersaMount (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-cb-ham-radios-128/ipod-cooltechs-versamount-9398/)

JackMac4 06-02-2007 01:37 PM

iPod and CoolTech's VersaMount

To those who have purchased CoolTech's versamount - or made something like it - any tips on mounting an iPod? I have a 5G 60gb iPod and would like to mount it on the versamount temporarily --- or to clarify, I'd like the ability to mount a cobra 75wx AND an iPod (not at the same time) with ease.... being able to interchange them on an as needed basis...if that makes any sense.

Any ideas on how to accomplish this? I am just looking at this thing trying to come up with some good ideas...

I'm thinking I might have to involve velcro.

drinkingmymilk 06-02-2007 01:54 PM

I don't really know how you would go about it. An ipod has to mount towards you with the plate behind on the shiny metal back, A radar detector has to mount under or over(depending on model.) The mount would need to have swivel of some sort to make the whole thing work. IMO run two mounts, ipod next to the radio in the mount and suction cup on the window for the radar. They don't look nice there but they also work the best there.

Living Still 06-02-2007 01:55 PM

Velcro works really well actually. I have been thinking about this as well and I think I am just going to screw the universal CB mic clip onto the backside of the mount that way I can have both the CB and the iPod on it at the same time.

FiveOff 06-02-2007 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by drinkingmymilk (Post 100510)
I don't really know how you would go about it. An ipod has to mount towards you with the plate behind on the shiny metal back, A radar detector has to mount under or over(depending on model.) The mount would need to have swivel of some sort to make the whole thing work. IMO run two mounts, ipod next to the radio in the mount and suction cup on the window for the radar. They don't look nice there but they also work the best there.

It's a CB.

drinkingmymilk 06-03-2007 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by FiveOff (Post 100637)
It's a CB.

open mouth. Insert foot. :gak:

jeepinjason51 06-03-2007 10:54 AM

Alot of the protective cases being made for ipods have a detachable belt clip on the back of them. On the case I have the knob for the clip is the same size as the knob on the back of the 75 WX ST. So all I did was mount the clip that came with the CB to the versamount and I'm able to use it for both my ipod and the cb radio. I'll post some pics this afternoon for ya.

JackMac4 06-04-2007 04:58 AM

Thanks everyone for your feedback..

Originally Posted by Living Still (Post 100512)
Velcro works really well actually. I have been thinking about this as well and I think I am just going to screw the universal CB mic clip onto the backside of the mount that way I can have both the CB and the iPod on it at the same time.

That's an idea for sure, but I don't necessarily need them both mounted at the same time..

Originally Posted by LiquidSmile (Post 100922)
Sounds like you need a moveable mount system like the ones offered by proclip
They are not a sponsor so Here is an edited link.

hxxp://www.proclipusa.com/

Just look under mounting options, and then move clips.

Hey this isn't a half bad idea, I'll do some more snooping on their clips.

Originally Posted by drinkingmymilk (Post 101041)
open mouth. Insert foot. :gak:

LOL! I was wondering what the hell you were talking about? :)

Originally Posted by jeepinjason51 (Post 101062)
Alot of the protective cases being made for ipods have a detachable belt clip on the back of them. On the case I have the knob for the clip is the same size as the knob on the back of the 75 WX ST. So all I did was mount the clip that came with the CB to the versamount and I'm able to use it for both my ipod and the cb radio. I'll post some pics this afternoon for ya.

Yeah, that would be great...I'd like to see that in action.

Shoal Creek 06-06-2007 06:15 PM

Why not get a larger/longer plate and mount it to the VersaMount. On the top part f the longer plate you can have your IPOD mounted and on the lower part of the plate you can have the CB mount. A plate that is 2" x 6" might work. You could make it out of 1/16" steel and paint it then bolt it to the VersaMount.

Just an Idea...

JackMac4 06-07-2007 05:00 AM

Originally Posted by Shoal Creek (Post 104149)
Why not get a larger/longer plate and mount it to the VersaMount. On the top part f the longer plate you can have your IPOD mounted and on the lower part of the plate you can have the CB mount. A plate that is 2" x 6" might work. You could make it out of 1/16" steel and paint it then bolt it to the VersaMount.

Just an Idea...

That is a good idea. Where and how would I get and cut a piece of 1/16" steel? I suppose a dremel might be able to cut through that thickness..

Shoal Creek 06-07-2007 07:32 PM

I think that a Dremel tool would cut through that thickness. Try Home Depot and look in the section that has sheet metal. They may have a small piece or may be willing to cut you a small piece. Another section might be the electrical isle. Maybe a juction box cover or something like that. Junction boxes are made of very mild steel and a Dremel could cut and debur that with ease.