Notices
JK CB & HAM Radios Bulletin board forum regarding all topics concerning CB and HAM radios, the installation of them in your Jeep JK Wrangler. This would include antenna mounts, wiring, tuning and usage.

Just ordered Ultramount

Old 03-20-2012, 05:39 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just ordered Ultramount

I just ordered my Cooltech Ultramount. Is it really as easy as it looks to install? I am trying to figure out where it grounds to looking at the pics on the sight?
Old 03-20-2012, 09:10 AM
JK Super Freak

Location: Simi Valley, Ca., Taylorsville, Ut. and places in between
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The mount should include a 10 ga ground wire that goes from the mount
to the bumper mounting bolt .
Iv been running one for a while and it works very good for me.
Hope this helps.
Old 03-20-2012, 12:24 PM
JK Newbie

I found it to be pretty easy. The toughest parts were grinding down the plastic inside the license plate housing, and reassembling the housing afterward. I ground off too much, but no real harm done.

And the reassembly is a pain in the butt. Not only is the license plate mounting housing an over-engineered POS, there's a cross-shaped spacer tower that extends from the rearmost plate forward, providing support. Make sure your coax isn't resting between this and the front wall of the housing, it'll get pinched pretty good.

One part of the instructions that could be more clear is where to place or line up the drilling template. Look at other people's pics to ensure you're drilling the plastic in the right place.

Note that the kit no longer includes a grounding wire. There's a note on the last page indicating that a wire didn't provide a suitable RF ground so he removed it from the kit. The manual instructs you to grind off the inside of the body metal where the washer will be. If that's not good enough, a grounding strap is recommended.
Old 03-20-2012, 07:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

I recommend the ground strap for sure. Ive battled the SWR and RF from my installation for a few months.
Good news is I've slowly tweaked and have cleared a lot of my issues. This however has had me take apart and reinstall my ultra mount a few times. Take your time on the install. Really grind down the inner tub to get a solid ground and run the strap first off so you don't have to take it apart.
I also recommend cutting the paper template out an transferring it to a piece of card stock. Start the hole in the center and make it smaller and slowly remove material until you can get the connector out of the plastic housing.
If you don't have a dremel borrow or buy one it makes the cut easy and the uses are endless.
Go slow take your time. Ask questions on here or hell PM me and I'd be glad to share any tips or tricks.
You can beat the clean look in the end.
Old 03-22-2012, 02:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

Subscribed. Ordered my all in one kit today should be here Sunday. Mr fish what dremel attachments do you suggest. Thanks
Old 03-22-2012, 02:38 PM
JK Junkie

It's pretty easy. Almost as easy as installing the Firestik M2 Molded Side Mount. Almost.

Old 03-22-2012, 02:40 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Dayman
Subscribed. Ordered my all in one kit today should be here Sunday. Mr fish what dremel attachments do you suggest. Thanks
I used a small course grinding wheel, but a cutting wheel would likely be better. For the hole I used a paddle boring bit and a very fine rasp to finish the hole.
Old 03-22-2012, 03:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mr Rubi
where did you order your mount from OP?
I ordered it directly from Cooltech.
Old 03-22-2012, 04:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

I picked up a grounding strap today, and thank you for the templet idea! I really want to get that hole right the first time!
Old 03-22-2012, 09:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

Just a heads up, if you have a security deck in there, your cb will not work properly. Just a heads up from personal experience and many phone calls to both ultramount and cobra.

Last edited by Sharkey; 03-22-2012 at 09:30 PM.

Quick Reply: Just ordered Ultramount