Notices
JK CB & HAM Radios Bulletin board forum regarding all topics concerning CB and HAM radios, the installation of them in your Jeep JK Wrangler. This would include antenna mounts, wiring, tuning and usage.

A little more help for a CB newb?

Old 05-30-2007, 05:43 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking A little more help for a CB newb?

I'm pretty sure this is the CB I want:

walcottcb.com/cobra-29wxnwst-cb-radio-weather-p-514.html

But all those right-side options are a different story. Help! What do I want/need if I want to make a long-lasting investment?

Thanks,
js.

Last edited by wayoflife; 05-30-2007 at 05:59 AM.
Old 05-30-2007, 05:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jsmoriss

http://www.walcottcb.com/cobra-29wxn...her-p-514.html

But all those right-side options are a different story. Help! What do I want/need if I want to make a long-lasting investment?

Thanks,
js.
You can't go wrong with that choice. It has all the bells and whistles. It is big however and you may have a problem finding a spot to mount it in the jeep. I had something similar in my F250. Make sure you buy the best antenna and cable you can afford. Installation is also important. These 3 items will improve performance more than the CB itself.
Old 05-30-2007, 10:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jsmoriss

walcottcb.com/cobra-29wxnwst-cb-radio-weather-p-514.html

Thanks,
js.

It's a decent CB and should work fine. Personally, I think Cobra wanted the CB face to look like it has more features than it does by putting as many knobs as possible and not try to conserve space.

IMHO, they wasted a lot of space by putting in knobs that don't need to be there or can be piggy-backed on top of each other so stuff like Side Band, talk back & clarifier can be put in.

All that there needs to be for SWR is a slide switch to put in that mode. Then, you key up & see what your SWR level is on the signal window & adjust your antenna appropriately.

Keep in mind that this type of chassis (the big one) can be "peaked & tuned", thereby giving you a boost over stock power. It shouldn't cost more than $20 or so to get it done, but make sure it's done by someone who knows what they're doing.
Old 06-05-2007, 12:52 PM
JK Newbie

For the most economical use of very limited space, try a Cobra 75 WX unit with most everthing in the mike. You can mount the small transmit module behind the glove box.

Quick Reply: A little more help for a CB newb?