Notices
JK CB & HAM Radios Bulletin board forum regarding all topics concerning CB and HAM radios, the installation of them in your Jeep JK Wrangler. This would include antenna mounts, wiring, tuning and usage.

Looking to install CB - Thoughts on these radios & parts?

Old 10-23-2018, 08:05 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Looking to install CB - Thoughts on these radios & parts?

I am looking to install a CB in my rig. Was wondering if I could get input on the radio selections and other parts please. If you see anything that would be best, not work, etc., etc. I'm up for suggestions or recommendations on the parts.

CB Radios (thoughts/recommendations on these units please):
I would like a unit that has weather and PA (not requuired but for fun). The units I am looking at: President Johnny III, Uniden Pro 520XL, Uniden Bearcat 880, Uniden CMX760 (no PA)

CB Mount:
Looking at the Quadratec mount for all except if going with the Uniden CMX760 would look at a front passenger grab bar mount.

OR

I am up for other ideas. I have a sPod so above the mirror is limited. I see where another forum (wayalife) has a CB bar that goes across to mount to, but don't know if it would work with a sPod.

Antenna Set-Up:
1) Would look at something like the Mopar Kit from rightchannelradios.com which includes 3' pre-tuned antenna, 18" ring coax cable with FME connector, antenna stud, spare tire mount.

OR

2) Teraflex JK spare tire mount, Firestik 3' or 4' antenna, antenna spring (thoughts?), antenna stud mount Firestik K4A, Firestik Firering Coax with FME 18', Firdstik Antenna quick disconnect

PA Speaker (if decide to do it):
Don't know specific brand, but most likely all weather 10 or 15 watt mounted under the hood if possible.

Anything I am missing (i.e. wiring, etc.)?

Thanks
Old 10-23-2018, 02:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

Ok, so I did some checking and I think this may be the route I go.

Radio: President Johnny III Thoughts on this radio...good, bad, etc.?
Mount: Quadratec Mount I think the version for the Uniden 510 will work with this radio based upon the size measurements I read.
Antenna: 3' FireStik
Cable: Firestik 18' Coax
Antenna Mount: Teraflex spare tire mount
Antenna Stud: Firestik K4A
Antenna Quick Disconnect: Firestik QD
PA Speaker: Black weather proof PA Not sure on this one. Any other recommendations on PA speaker?

Am I missing anything? Maybe a SWR meter?

I will shop to check prices. Links are more for reference.
Old 10-23-2018, 05:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Here’s the route I am going.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-c...-144436/page6/

If you peruse the whole thread there are some great suggestions. It’s a bit dated but the Cobra 18 WX ST II is still available for purchase and does have a PA input if I recall correctly. Going off what the others say in that thread dimension wise I found a Pioneer radio that looks like it will fit my radio requirements and dimensions.

Have fun with it.
Old 10-25-2018, 09:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

Is 18' of coax able sufficient or should I look at purchase a 20' cable? (4dr application)

Quick Reply: Looking to install CB - Thoughts on these radios & parts?