Notices
JK CB & HAM Radios Bulletin board forum regarding all topics concerning CB and HAM radios, the installation of them in your Jeep JK Wrangler. This would include antenna mounts, wiring, tuning and usage.

Looking for lock box for center dash cubby to fit Ham radio head '17 JK

Old 05-04-2018, 08:50 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for lock box for center dash cubby to fit Ham radio head '17 JK

Hello!

I have a '17 JK and I'm looking for a steel lock box to hide/protect a mobile ham radio head in the top center dash cubby. I've looked all over and have only found one plastic, non-lockable, rolling door storage console. The radio is the ICOM ID-5100a, its dimensions are 7.25" × 3.25" × 1". I have a feeling I may have to just fabricate something. Also, if you think this is a bad idea, and/or have a better/different solution, please tell me your thoughts.

I'll also be installing a cb at some point but could just put that low in the dash beneath the hazard switch pod or get a handheld mobile cb and clip it to the dash. I'll have a cell phone mount and probably a tablet mount too (I'm starting learn about mobile gps solutions). Oh, and a camera for anti-theft... I know there are options to mount a bar system just above the dash and mount everything under the sun on it but my first priority was to try to keep many things hidden as is possible. With such limited space to hide things, this is going to be quite a challenge. Challenge accepted!

Sorry for the scattered post, Thanks for any help!
Old 05-07-2018, 08:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

Hey Sound Chaser.....Are you concerned about theft when your top is off or just being cautious otherwise?
Old 05-07-2018, 10:42 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by ShawnInPaso
Hey Sound Chaser.....Are you concerned about theft when your top is off or just being cautious otherwise?
Hi ShawnInPaso,

I would say yes! and yes!.

In doing further research and asking around a bit, I think a center console lock box might be the best solution. It's hidden from view and should be big enough to hold a few detachable radio heads/faces.
Old 05-07-2018, 10:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

Gotcha. Looks like a good solution.

The reason I asked was because in my rig, I also have a dual band radio control head, tablet, cell phone, and so forth. Most of the devices are not routinely in the Jeep, but when they are I am similarly concerned about thieves. I have an "ARR" bar mounted high above the dash and use RAM mounts to hold everything. The devices are high enough whereby they cannot be seen by casually looking in the window, with the exception of the cellphone mount - but I never leave my cellphone behind. It's rare I run the rig topless.
The following users liked this post:
Sound Chaser (05-08-2018)
Old 05-08-2018, 04:50 PM
JK Newbie

Nice, sounds like you have a great setup!

Yeah, I don't leave my phone behind either and I won't mind if a cell phone mount is shown as well. It's pretty commonplace these days so won't draw attention. The other items don't exist for me yet, besides a ham hand held that clips on my belt.
I know I'll be putting a mobile ham in the Jeep (I'm 99% certain it's the Icom ID-5100a) and most definitely some sort of CB. I'm still unsure as to the whole phone/gps unit/tablet thing. So many choices, different kinds of hardware and software. Then folks also run GMRS radios so there's that to consider, lol too many choices!

Thanks for the input.

Quick Reply: Looking for lock box for center dash cubby to fit Ham radio head '17 JK