Notices
JK CB & HAM Radios Bulletin board forum regarding all topics concerning CB and HAM radios, the installation of them in your Jeep JK Wrangler. This would include antenna mounts, wiring, tuning and usage.

New CB and Antenna

Old 02-26-2017, 02:06 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New CB and Antenna

I just purchased a new Galaxy CB radio and a Monkey made antenna. I had the antenna tuned at the shop and am waiting for my new CB to come in. Has anyone had experiences with high end gear as this.
Old 03-02-2017, 05:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why do you need an antenna that is built for 30,000 watts of power when the CB can only transmit with 4 watts. A smaller antenna will work just as well and costs much less.

High end and CB are mutually exclusive. There is a reason why most CB radios cost less than $100. They aren't worth much more than that because they can't get a signal out there more than a couple miles max.

If you are looking for a High End radio you would be better off going the HAM route. With a 10 Meter radio and a 1 Kilowatt amp you could put that antenna to good use. Also a lot of 10 Meter radios will allow you to listen to the CB bands. Better than that you could go with a HF/VHF/UHF transceiver and get your signal all the way around the globe.

Now that is high end communications.

Finally, you will most likely have to tune your antenna AFTER it is installed in the vehicle. This is because the vehicle, the cables, and the position of the antenna all have an effect on the impedance of the system. Just tuning it at the store can't account for these things.
Old 03-21-2017, 08:28 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would agree that a multi-mode ham transceiver like my Icom 7100 will certainly provide greater range, but it depends on who you are attempting to communicate with, and why. For simple situational awareness on the highway, CB still has its place. I would also agree that having an antenna 'tuned' anywhere before it's properly mounted on your own vehicle is meaningless, and that the 30000 watt ratings are equally absurd. What I will contradict, is the idea that CB is inherently limited to a range of a couple of miles, and that there is no such thing as a high-end radio. A combination like you described, properly mounted, grounded, and tuned, is easily capable of regular communications over a range of 7-10 miles and sometimes more, but proper tuning and installation are everything, even with a $50 radio and a $25 antenna.
Old 04-03-2017, 09:58 PM
JK Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The Monkey made antennas are a bit too heavy for off road use. Light and flexible is the name of the game; you really don't want a heavy top-loaded antenna oscillating, as the metal fatigues. It's the same reason that screwdriver antennas don't do well off road.

I'd stick with a 5' Firestik FS, lots of bonding (especially the antenna mount, exhaust, and a replacement for the hood strap), RG-8X coax, and a Hustler QD-2 disconnect. Then buy a 3' Firestik as a spare in case you smash it on the trail or want something lower profile.

Also, I completely disagree that CB and quality are mutually exclusive. There are some really high end export CB radios out there.
Old 05-16-2017, 06:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default New Install Question

Just installed a new CB and antenna. Got it tuned at the shop...they had a little trouble with the tuning but said he got it dialed in. Wont see anyone I know with CB's until this weekend. Trying to figure out how to know if anyone can here me! I can hear others but no one responds to radio check requests. Is there any chance its not transmitting even though I can hear others and it shows transmitting when I key the mic?

May just have to wait till I see my friends this weekend but they're 40 miles away. Strangers dont answer radio checks anymore....
Old 05-16-2017, 07:10 PM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

did you try channel 19 and try and pick up some truckers...seems someone it always monitoring that
Old 05-16-2017, 07:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jchappies
did you try channel 19 and try and pick up some truckers...seems someone it always monitoring that
I did try 19 and a couple of other channels but no one responded. Shows transmitting with full bars. Prob have to wait till I find someone close by with a CB installed to make sure it's transmitting. But all signs appear that it's working..just no response from the general radio traffic.

thanks for the response though!
Old 05-17-2017, 06:03 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you come to 4x4\Jeep night this Friday at 6pm in Santee- Buffalo Wild Wings we can test it for you

https://www.facebook.com/events/439546179746623/?ti=cl

https://www.facebook.com/events/1496863260377504/?ti=cl

Quick Reply: New CB and Antenna