Notices
JK CB & HAM Radios Bulletin board forum regarding all topics concerning CB and HAM radios, the installation of them in your Jeep JK Wrangler. This would include antenna mounts, wiring, tuning and usage.

new HF rig setup, engine noise, no contacts

Old 06-21-2018, 07:00 AM
JK Newbie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default new HF rig setup, engine noise, no contacts

I'm assuming I don't have things bonded / grounded correctly.

Its a Yaesu FT-857D using an MFJ 20 meter ham stick on a Jeep JK.

I could hear Georgia, Colorado, New Zealand, Calgary from Illinois, but couldn't raise anybody.

I know Jeeps are not good ground planes, any suggestions?

thanks.
Old 06-21-2018, 08:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

Have you already checked the SWR (or maybe better, the fwd vs. reflected power)?
Old 06-22-2018, 03:51 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by ShawnInPaso
Have you already checked the SWR (or maybe better, the fwd vs. reflected power)?
No, I was planning on doing this on Saturday at Field Day. My local Ham club guys have antenna analyzers, SWR meters, etc. I actually have an SWR meter that I could use but I ran out of time this week.

I know it needs grounding/ bonding. I did this with my 2008 Kia and it worked great. Bonded everything hood, doors, trunk, exhaust, engine, etc. All contacts said "Don't change a thing, it sounds great!".

That was with a 20 meter hamstick on a mag mount.

thanks.
Old 06-25-2018, 04:24 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Once you get this working I'm very interested in your final setup. I hope you provide details here (or in a new thread).
Old 06-25-2018, 09:22 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
Once you get this working I'm very interested in your final setup. I hope you provide details here (or in a new thread).
Will. do. It may be a few weeks. I got some good advice from Elmers at Field Day. Going to give it a shot and see what happens.
Old 06-29-2018, 12:15 PM
JK Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Bonding is the key. We bonded in about 30 places and our noise floor dropped substantially. Bonding the exhaust in 4 places was the most dramatic improvement. We welded bolts to the frame, put hose clamps around the exhaust, and bridged them with Electric Motion EM2080. Did the same between the frame and tub at several other locations.

One of the exhaust bond points. The copper paint is weld-through primer (Copperweld). We use it every time we expose bare metal and weld.

Four along each frame rail. The long cable is an air hose to the rear locker.

Tailgate

Example of a frame bonding point.

Tire carrier.
Old 06-29-2018, 12:20 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by OnBelay
Bonding is the key. We bonded in about 30 places and our noise floor dropped substantially. Bonding the exhaust in 4 places was the most dramatic improvement. We welded bolts to the frame, put hose clamps around the exhaust, and bridged them with Electric Motion EM2080. Did the same between the frame and tub at several other locations.

Tire carrier.
thanks. Thats the plan for this weekend. Once completed I'll post the results.
Old 07-02-2018, 05:42 AM
JK Newbie

UPDATE :

I believe I have most of my issues resolved.

From Southern Illinois, I made 21 "Canada Day" contest contacts in Ontario, Alberta and Manitoba this weekend.
Also this weekend. One contact in Russia (Moscow area), and one in New Zealand (south island).

Equipment : Yaesu FT-857D, RG8x, Arizonia Rocky Road mount on the spare tire, a MFJ 20 meter Hamstick.

thanks to all who helped!

I plan on a detailed post as soon as I make some final tweaks and do some more testing.

Last edited by JokerOne; 07-02-2018 at 05:52 AM.
The following users liked this post:
OnBelay (07-06-2018)

Quick Reply: new HF rig setup, engine noise, no contacts