Notices
JK CB & HAM Radios Bulletin board forum regarding all topics concerning CB and HAM radios, the installation of them in your Jeep JK Wrangler. This would include antenna mounts, wiring, tuning and usage.

Portable CB - whats a good one?

Old 04-29-2009, 06:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why 4 Watts?

We are limited to 4 Watts because when they first allowed CB radios (in the 1950's) they decided to use an HF frequency (26-27 Mhz). They were concerned about signals traveling across the country so they limited power output to 4 watts. Although an AM 4 watt radio is not the best for short range communications, it's what we are stuck with.

We have a second type of radio here called GMRS which is UHF (much like Australian CB) but it requires an expensive license that most people don't want to pay for and the radios are more expensive.

The FCC will probably change the rules on GMRS at some point and make it license by rule but it hasn't happened yet. Sure would be nice to have a UHF FM radio! Would make mounting antennas and dealing with noise issues a LOT easier!
Old 04-29-2009, 07:06 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks JKGuy, that explains a lot. In my ignorance I just assumed you guys were talking about UHF when you say CB. Who regulates the air waves, I mean if a few guys picked up some portable UHF's and used them for car to car, how are they going to get in trouble? Hope it changes soon for you all.
Old 04-29-2009, 07:19 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by JKGuy
We are limited to 4 Watts because when they first allowed CB radios (in the 1950's) they decided to use an HF frequency (26-27 Mhz). They were concerned about signals traveling across the country so they limited power output to 4 watts. Although an AM 4 watt radio is not the best for short range communications, it's what we are stuck with.

We have a second type of radio here called GMRS which is UHF (much like Australian CB) but it requires an expensive license that most people don't want to pay for and the radios are more expensive.

The FCC will probably change the rules on GMRS at some point and make it license by rule but it hasn't happened yet. Sure would be nice to have a UHF FM radio! Would make mounting antennas and dealing with noise issues a LOT easier!
As an example of Atmospheric skip, I can easily hit Atlanta, Georgia, from Fort Collins, Colorado, with 100W and a really sad excuse for an antenna on the 20-meter (14.2ish MHz) ham band. If every trucker and Jeeper had 100W, the CB band would be jam packed with conversations from all over the world.

I think my GMRS license was $75 for 5 years. I've seen handheld GMRS radios go for $29 a pair at Home Depot. The most expensive handheld GMRS radio I've seen is an Icom for $200. It's basically one of their commercial radios with different software and fixed programming. At the low end, the radios are disposable w/ fixed antennas (usually they interoperate with FRS radios and must satisfy the ERP limitations for use on the FRS band). At the high end, they're bullet proof, don't interoperate with FRS radios, support external / remote / detachable antennas, and rechargeable batteries.

Still, the standard in the 4WD community is CB.

-Glen
Old 04-29-2009, 09:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just checking out the Cobra 38WXST online at Sears. Just under $80.00. Not bad. Specs are below. Is a 4 mile range about average for a CB?

Specs
SoundTracker" technology reduces static and noise
40-channel
4-watt output power
4-mile range
High/low power switch
Speaker/microphone jack
2" W x 6 3/4" H x 1 3/4" D
Requires 9 AA batteries (not included) or DC power
Includes DC power cord
Old 04-30-2009, 06:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ArrowheadRay
Just checking out the Cobra 38WXST online at Sears. Just under $80.00. Not bad. Specs are below. Is a 4 mile range about average for a CB?

Specs
SoundTracker" technology reduces static and noise
40-channel
4-watt output power
4-mile range
High/low power switch
Speaker/microphone jack
2" W x 6 3/4" H x 1 3/4" D
Requires 9 AA batteries (not included) or DC power
Includes DC power cord
All the CBs out there are about the same (4 watts max) save for a few extra features and size. Range is hard to peg as it depends a great deal on line of sight, antenna location etc.. If you were on Rim of the World talking down the mountain you will probably get a lot more than 4 miles as your line of sight will be excellent. But, in general 4 miles seems to be a stretch. My CB is only used on trail and in caravan where everybody is close together.
Old 04-30-2009, 08:35 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by macca007
Thanks JKGuy, that explains a lot. In my ignorance I just assumed you guys were talking about UHF when you say CB. Who regulates the air waves, I mean if a few guys picked up some portable UHF's and used them for car to car, how are they going to get in trouble? Hope it changes soon for you all.
That would be the FCC in the US. If you use a GMRS radio unlicensed, no one is going to complain. Pick up a random VHF or UHF radio and start talking, you may get in trouble or you may get away with it--depends on whose frequency you're interfering with and how loudly they complain to the FCC. Military, aircraft, police, forest service, blm, railroads, power and gas companies frequencies would be particularly bad to hit.

The FCC has unmarked enforcement vans that can pin point the origin a VHF/UHF/microwave signal quite accurately. If you read the FCC's enforcement letters, there's at least one a month during hunting season where a group of hunters used a ham radio or business band radio, were tracked down by the FCC, and fined several thousand dollars.

Last week in Moab, a bunch of dolts were using ham radios without a license on one of the primary ham frequencies which was guaranteed to get noticed because everybody has this frequency in their scan list. As soon as my buddy and I spit out our call signs, they were gone. Scattered like roaches once they knew some licensed guys were listening to them. Kind of funny.

Originally Posted by ArrowheadRay
I have one of these and consider myself lucky to be able to converse two Jeeps in front of me and two Jeeps behind me. Much further than that and it didn't work too well for me. There were times I was at the front of the group and couldn't hear the Jeep at the back of the group on flat terrain. With an external antenna, it'll work much better but with the short antenna connected to the radio, don't expect too much.
Old 04-30-2009, 09:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RedDavid
All the CBs out there are about the same (4 watts max) save for a few extra features and size. Range is hard to peg as it depends a great deal on line of sight, antenna location etc.. If you were on Rim of the World talking down the mountain you will probably get a lot more than 4 miles as your line of sight will be excellent. But, in general 4 miles seems to be a stretch. My CB is only used on trail and in caravan where everybody is close together.
Thanks. I'll only be using mine on the trail as well.
Old 04-30-2009, 09:45 AM
JK Freak

Just for on the trail I picked up this Maxon portbale CB radio on Ebay a few years ago. Works pretty good and I paid very little for it. Runs on AA batteries or 12V.

Quick Reply: Portable CB - whats a good one?