Notices
JK CB & HAM Radios Bulletin board forum regarding all topics concerning CB and HAM radios, the installation of them in your Jeep JK Wrangler. This would include antenna mounts, wiring, tuning and usage.

Regular or Flex?

Old 04-16-2009, 09:10 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Regular or Flex?

Just as I was ready to pull the trigger on a Wilson FGT-4, I was asked if I frequent underground garages a lot. The dealer told me that they don't stand up too well to getting smacked around by those height limit bars they put up at the entrances.

Unfortunately where I work, I have to park underground regularly. So he recommended a Wilson Flex instead. My concern is that I'm going to be mounting it on the spare so is the flex going to smack the roof everytime I hit a bump or is the regular fibreglass antenna rugged enough to to take a shot now and then in the garage?
Old 04-16-2009, 09:15 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by JulianK
Just as I was ready to pull the trigger on a Wilson FGT-4, I was asked if I frequent underground garages a lot. The dealer told me that they don't stand up too well to getting smacked around by those height limit bars they put up at the entrances.

Unfortunately where I work, I have to park underground regularly. So he recommended a Wilson Flex instead. My concern is that I'm going to be mounting it on the spare so is the flex going to smack the roof everytime I hit a bump or is the regular fibreglass antenna rugged enough to to take a shot now and then in the garage?
I have a Firestick, and I don't risk it... I just unscrew it from the spring mount when I'm not going wheeling, and store it in back or in the garage until I need it. Why take the risk, and why compromise?
Old 04-16-2009, 09:18 AM
JK Freak

Actually yes, the other option was to go with a quick release.
Old 04-16-2009, 09:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

I had a 8.5 foot fiberglass antenna bumper mounted on my YJ. I beat the hell out of it in every underground garage, as you can well imagine. It was cheap and I just didn't care - but it took all I threw at it.
Old 04-16-2009, 09:34 AM
JK Enthusiast

On the other hand, I had a spring mount and I could fold it down and tuck it under my side mirror something like you see in military Hummers.

Thought about that as an advantage of the flex?
Old 04-16-2009, 11:05 AM
JK Freak

But did the spring mount bounce off the roof on a bad road? I don't want to end up scratching the hard top and tearing the soft top from the antenna.

....that's the only drawback for the flex I'm concerned about.
Old 04-16-2009, 12:34 PM
JK Super Freak

ive got a 4' firefly mounted on my rear plate with the cooltech kit, i tuck the tip in the Velcro lip of the rear soft top window.

ive been thinking about going to a whip and doing the mil tie down look
Old 04-16-2009, 03:15 PM
JK Newbie

I was wondering that about my Flex, too. It certianly is "flexy" but I don't know if it could stand up to getting hit every 20 feet at 15mph while you climb to the 5th floor of a garage. Because it flexes so well, maybe you could use a bungy cord to tie it bent over to the side when you enter a garage. You'd have to improvise that a bit.

Anyone have an example of a quick release? I haven't found a suitable one yet.
Old 04-22-2009, 06:31 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would just take the antena off, you don't need a quick release for that, is very easy.
Old 04-22-2009, 11:13 AM
JK Freak

I would just take the antena off, you don't need a quick release for that, is very easy.
Hey, just found one online for 8 bucks! .....that'll make it much easier for the thieves to steal it! Hmmmm

P.S. Toad, it's becoming abundantly clear that you're some sort of freakin' modding genious!

Quick Reply: Regular or Flex?