Notices
JK CB & HAM Radios Bulletin board forum regarding all topics concerning CB and HAM radios, the installation of them in your Jeep JK Wrangler. This would include antenna mounts, wiring, tuning and usage.

Sport Bar Antenna Mount

Old 07-16-2018, 09:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Sport Bar Antenna Mount

So, I'm trying to come up with a convenient and effective way of mounting an antenna that will be easy to take on and off, in conjunction with a quick in/out setup for the CB. I've noticed these holes through the top cross-bar in the stock sport bar:

It seems to me that it may be an easy way to mount up an antenna, using something like https://www.amazon.com/Stainless-Steel-Extra-Heavy-Antennas/dp/B0049B769O/ref=sr_1_17?ie=UTF8&qid=1531755816&sr=8-17&keywords=cb+antenna+mount to run the cable directly up through the hole in conjunction with a spring and maybe a quick disconnect. I could easily run the cable down through the MOLLE webbing in the back of my seat covers, and under the seat up to wherever specifically I end up putting the radio.

What I'm wondering if anyone has done anything like this, and if so, how well it works, what suggestions they may have to get it to go smoothly, etc.

Thanks for the input!
Old 07-16-2018, 10:07 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,818 Likes on 1,588 Posts

Do you have a soft top? Those are the holes that are used to secure the freedom panels on the hard tops......although most, like me, don't bother with those dumb things. If you did rig something up there, only issue would be you could only use it while topless. I think I'd rather mount in a more traditional location with the same idea of being able to remove it and only install when necessary. Are you just trying to get it as high as possible for reception?
Old 07-16-2018, 10:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Well, my primary goal is ease of taking it on and off with a minimal of mounting hardware involved. I don't have a hard top, and my soft top stays in storage most of the year, so not particularly concerned about that. Another option might be the hard-top bolt holes along the top of the tub, just behind the door, though that would be a less ideal location for reception, but maybe a bit easier to make a clean install of, and the reduced height would likely allow me to use my 10' whip, instead of getting a new 4' stick.

My current radio it probably temporary, and I'll go for a more permanent (and elegant) solution in the future, just trying to think of a good way to do a quick-and-dirty setup for the time being.

Quick Reply: Sport Bar Antenna Mount