Notices
JK CB & HAM Radios Bulletin board forum regarding all topics concerning CB and HAM radios, the installation of them in your Jeep JK Wrangler. This would include antenna mounts, wiring, tuning and usage.

Static through the CB

Old 07-24-2017, 12:10 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Static through the CB

This is strange to me so I am throwing it out there but hopefully not strange to someone so I may possible get a solution to the problem. I installed a CB in my 2016 JK. The antenna is mounted behind 2 bolts on the spare tire carrier. If my squelch is set low enough, when I turn on my blinker, I get static through the radio each time the blinker lights up. I also get static through one of my switches on my switch pod. I lights (blinkers & pod lights) are LED's. I thought this could be a ground issue but all lights are solidly grounded. Can anyone offer up any additional thoughts?

Thank you in advance for any help.
Old 07-24-2017, 02:52 PM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Run the antenna cable separate from any other wires, ground off app powder coat from the antenna base so all bolts and pl-259 adapter have a good ground to the tail gate, and ground the tail gate to main body. and run your radio ground straight to battery.
Old 10-21-2017, 05:13 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Grounding

It's s common problem and easily fixed by running a ground strap (braided woven flexible) from the antenna base or nearest metal location to the chassis. I even strapped the engine to the chassis and to the hood via the firewall to cut noise. I run Ham HF a lot (national and international) and SSB (AM) needs all the help possible to reduce noise. Good luck and happy trails!

Quick Reply: Static through the CB