Notices
JK CB & HAM Radios Bulletin board forum regarding all topics concerning CB and HAM radios, the installation of them in your Jeep JK Wrangler. This would include antenna mounts, wiring, tuning and usage.

SWR meter tuning help

Old 05-13-2011, 11:42 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SWR meter tuning help

(Edit - the SWR meter was defective and I exchanged for a working unit, used the instructions and steps below and all is good now!)

Ok guys, I need some help... I installed my Cobra 75wxst last weekend, think everything is grounded properly and today I hooked up an SWR Meter I bought from Amazon. It's more complicated than it needs to be as it says Power Meter & Matcher:

I hooked it up 'in line' and with the top switch all the way left to FWD I keyed the mic and expected the needle to jump so I could calibrate before flipping to REF and taking a reading. Well, the needle didn't move at all. I played with all the switches and dials, nothing happened.

I flipped through some of the channels and was able to hear chatter but I didn't attempt to transmit anything. Does it sound like my SWR meter is dead? I should have gotten something more simple but this was cheap at the time. Any advice on where to go from here? Thank you!

(EDIT: SWR METER WAS DEFECTIVE)

Last edited by BLK08JK; 05-23-2011 at 08:03 AM.
Old 05-13-2011, 02:37 PM
JK Super Freak

I think you set the top switch to ref then key up.

Move the min max cal slider until your needle is at the far right where it says cal

Then move the switch to cal and key up and see your SWR.

Note: I hope I have not mixed up the ref vs cal as I have not touched mine in a long time I normally now use my 259b

Then move the upper switch all the way to the right and you measure power. I will be about 4 watts!!!!

Now this unit will also do matching, in other words add capacitance or inductance to the antenna to allow for a match.

So basically you go thru the above procedure but after you do the initial check you select match. Then you can move the other two dial around until you get the swr where you want it.

I have one of these but a different brand for my 10m rig so when I use the whip I can tune it in for the full range of my radio.

So you bought more than a swr meter but also a tuner. So if you get the antenna tuned for the full band width 1 thru 40 you can take it out of line. But if you struggle on one end or the other you can use this at any time to bring the system in.

Hope this helps. Note to self I may need another one of these as mine is having some meter problems due to bounding around in the jeep.

Last edited by goldtr8; 05-13-2011 at 02:39 PM.
Old 05-17-2011, 10:01 AM
JK Newbie

All of the below is from rightchannelradio...

i did mine today and used the below information and it was very helpful, good luck

The first thing you need to do is find a suitable location to park your vehicle. There should be no obstructions, such as trees or buildings, within 10-15 meters of your antenna. Neither you nor your buddies should be hanging out around the car either – make sure that you’re inside with the doors and windows closed to ensure an accurate reading.

The next step is to hook up the SWR meter. First, disconnect the coaxial cable from the back of the radio. Reconnect this end of the cable, which is going to the antenna, to the SWR meter in the connector marked “antenna” or “ANT.” Next, use the jumper lead and connect your radio and the SWR meter through the connection marked “transmitter” or “XMIT.”

Now you are ready to measure the SWR on a few different channels. Remember throughout this process that it is important to keep the microphone the same distance from the meter for each test.

Set the switch on the SWR meter to “FWD.”

Turn the radio the Channel 1.

Key the microphone (depress the button and hold it).

Turn the knob on the SWR meter labeled “SET” or “ADJUST” until the needle reaches the setting position at the end of its range.

While still keying the microphone, flip the switch on the SWR meter to the “REF” or “SWR” position.

Quickly record the reading given by your SWR meter and release the transmit key on your microphone.

You are now going to repeat this process for channel 40. Follow steps 4-9.

The objective behind tuning your antenna is to make these two readings as close as possible. Getting down to a 1.5:1 ratio or below makes for a passable broadcast signal. There are two basic points to understand before adjusting the length of your antenna:

If the SWR on channel 40 is higher than that on channel 1, your antenna is too long.
If the SWR on channel 1 is higher than that on channel 40, your antenna is too short

Quick Reply: SWR meter tuning help